Day 16 - picking up the RV


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Anchorage
August 24th 2013
Published: August 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

imageimageimage

The 30' RV
Had a sleep in this morning...totally exhausted!

The Arctic Adventure Hostel provided us with a bed for the night. It was very clean and the shared bathroom was kept immaculate. The care taker Tiffany was a fine young lady with a great smile and personality.

Took a taxi to pick up the RV. There was a few hours delay waiting for the RV to be serviced and detailed so we went for a walk over to the mall and had lunch at the grocery store. that helped to fill in a bit of time. RV was ready at 4pm. The manager of the RV place kept us amused within his stories of growing up in Alaska.

Unpacked our gear into our new home...what a relief to be able to put clothes away out of a suitcase. Stocked up with food at the local Walmart and then headed out of the city off Anchorage.

Drove along the new Seward Highway stopping at several view points including Beluga Point. What a sight to watch belugas swimming along in the bay.

The sun doesn't set until 10pm - that's a bit hard to get used to. At 8pm it looks and feels like 3pm. In the
imageimageimage

Trying on waders at the grocery store
middle of summer they have nearly 24 hours of sun. It was 62 degrees F today but felt much hotter. Because Alaska is closer to the sun than other states the sun is much hotter than the other lower 48 states.

We drove until midnight pulling up at an overlook. Slept well in the new home.

Advertisement



26th August 2013

love Alaska
Hi Geoff and Judy: We love Alaska. Visited there in 2009. We did a 3 week trip, 1 week on a cruise, then a land tour and rented a truck camper for a week. Our favorite part of the trip was our week on our own in the RV. I would say the highlights of the trip were Lake Eklutna near anchorage where we saw a mom and baby moose and 3 bears. Also my husband is a tractor/machine buff so we visited the a museum in Wasilla that had all kinds of old machinery. I loved Exit glacier because you could get so close up to it and the beautiful colors in it... Look forward to reading more about your trip. Have a great time!!

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0206s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb