Days 28 and 29 - Roundabouts


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Anchorage
July 30th 2006
Published: August 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post


A quiet couple of days spent enjoying the hostel with its beds and clean (and free) bathrooms. We've even been jogging a couple of times. So not a lot to report of interest... except one notable source of amusement.

As everyone knows, North American cities all look the same from above, just lots of straight roads going up and down, and others going left to right. All junctions are crossroads.

But not any more. Anchorage has a roundabout. The woeful ability of North Americans at navigating these things even got a slot on the Simpsons when they visited London and got stuck on one and spent the night going around and around the middle because Homer didn't know how to exit.

If only he'd checked out this site before they set off:

http://www.alaskaroundabouts.com/Dowling/index.htm

There are 13 lessons in all. 'Roundabouts are One Way' is pretty good, but our favourite has to be 'U Turns Are Easy'.


Advertisement



2nd August 2006

Roundabout lessons
'Do not stop in roundabout is pretty good too!
2nd August 2006

You're right, roundabouts completely fox Americans!
That was a pretty funny entry for me to read. Being American, I can attest to the confusion brought on by roundabouts. I must admit I was a little timid driving around one my first time. My town in Missouri got its first roundabout only 4 years ago. It caused mass chaos (and a few accidents) for a good while after its construction. There were even regular announcements over the local radio station telling people how to maneuver the roundabout - and it was only one lane!

Tot: 0.256s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 31; qc: 107; dbt: 0.1347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb