Tour Anchorage


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Anchorage
July 14th 2010
Published: August 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

It is actually a warm and sunny day! We wore Seth and Vivian out, so they rested and played with Rowan
quietly and didn’t go anywhere. The rest of us went downtown in Anchorage. First we went to the Ulu Factory. An ulu is a woman's knife that is very utilitarian and is now used by the rest of us to cut up food. Outside, they were selling reindeer hotdogs, so we each tried them. Yum! Then we went to the museum. We really enjoyed the history of Alaska and especially the dioramas and information about the Native Alaskans. We were surprised that of all places, they had not updated the word Eskimo to Inuit, etc. and we told them so. On the way out, we stopped in front of a large photo to gather all of us together. I said, “That could be Chevak. See the river and the bluff…” Carol interrupted, “It IS Chevak!” Ha! We taught school there for two years and it still looked familiar 35 years later!
Then we went to Earthquake Park to learn about the 1964 quake. We also found one of the houses jean and Dick lived in during the seventies. Later, we all visited Uncle Dick.
In the evening, Rowan played with toys we had brought from our house - blocks and trucks, but I think he liked playing with Daisy the best.
We all packed to get ready for our trip to Denali tomorrow. Then we talked and laughed until late!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb