Iditarod Start 2007


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Anchorage
March 4th 2007
Published: September 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Iditarod MapIditarod MapIditarod Map

Here's the race map for the Iditarod. Understand that it's incredibly cold out there, especially with the windchill and running the dogs at night!
Here are some shots of the Iditarod Race this morning. Today's start is merely ceremonial and is done downtown. As a matter of fact it hasn't snowed here in a while so they had to bring in snow to cover the streets for the ceremonial start. The re-start (actual race start) takes place tomorrow just outside of town but today's what gets people excited. I've put in a trail map so you can how far they have to go...tough breed.

I've also included a low-res video (click on filmstrip on the left 'Racing Underway") of a musher starting off for Nome.

All of the mushers and their sled dogs come down here. The whole thing takes a couple of hours so we got some pictures around town. It's only -3 today so we were outside for almost 3 hours. It's amazing what you can get used to! Not quite balmy but definitely tolerable.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Starting LineStarting Line
Starting Line

My "surprised chic" look
Chains AnyoneChains Anyone
Chains Anyone

Getting the harnesses and chains ready for the dog team
CloseupCloseup
Closeup

Getting up close and personal with Balto
PuppiesPuppies
Puppies

Here are a few of the dogs on a team. They are much scrawnier and lean than you would think, but boy can they run.
Musher 19Musher 19
Musher 19

Here's a musher getting prepped. You can see the attention these guys get. They are real celebrities up here...and they deserve it.
They're off and runningThey're off and running
They're off and running

Here the first musher gets his team off


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb