Wet Bay


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alabama
August 20th 2012
Published: August 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Wet Bay ProblemWet Bay ProblemWet Bay Problem

Problem is floor under the tanks
Wet bay....not Red Bay. This is a recall problem for the Tiffin RV. We didn't even know about it until we got here and found our Allegro Club friends, Millard & Pat. They came down here because their "wet bay" problem was bad...floor rotted and dropping down under their RV. They can only fix it here and some place in Connecticut. The photos are of THEIR wet bay problem that is being repaired today. The repairmen pull out all the holding tanks and put in a new floor with tray attached now. The test to find out if you have this problem is the service man jams a big screwdriver up through the floor from the outside. If it goes through, you have the problem. It went through for us, so we also have the problem but nothing like our friends'. We will have it repaired hopefully sometime this week. We would not have known to even have it checked had it not been for them.

For our friends unfamiliar with RV's -- under our motor home are compartments (bays) for storage. It is also called "the basement". Some bays are empty and that is where we store our stuff:
Wet Bay Problem closerWet Bay Problem closerWet Bay Problem closer

All that mess is the rotten floor
lawn chairs, outdoor rug and everything else we bring (they are packed full). Some bays are filled with the needed RV equipment: propane tank, generator, batteries, etc. plus all the different tanks that hold our various "water". Black water tank is the sewage, gray water tank is the shower/sink water, white tank has good water that we can use if not hooked up to an outside water source (city water). The bay holding these tanks (they are stacked on top of each other) is where the wet bay problem is located. The servicemen says it is from condensation in this bay BUT from the looks of the rotten floor, it seems like it has to be more than that...but who am I to say. There is a metal frame supporting the tanks so I don't think they would drop out BUT who knows....one big bump and SWOOOSH! Our friends also have a rotten floor under one of their slide outs...we don't, thank God! We store our rig inside and they don't...I don't know if that makes any difference. Anyway...it's not a pretty picture and one you don't want to see on your rig.

Today was just a "hang around"
Rotten Floor Rotten Floor Rotten Floor

Tank removed and support jacked up - floor to be replaced
day. Local insurance man came by to finish up our claim for our back end cap. We watched the repair of Millard's wet bay. Going to grill hamburgers tonight with our friends...enough of all this fancy dining out. I ate catfish 6 days out of 7 last week! They opened a new Dollar General in town so I am saving that exciting treat for a special occasion. Happy Days are Here, Again!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0921s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb