Let's Bounce


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alabama
February 13th 2009
Published: February 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So yesterday… Really the two bit things were lunch and the show. We went to a place called The Bistro in town- on recommendations from the locals. I can see why! They served a lot of authentic English food, and even had the Union Jack newspaper (I learned that “Union Jack” is also the name of the British flag). Sarah said her sandwich was “heaven in her mouth” and my salad was pretty fantastic, too. We got sweet potato fries as well, which made Sarah do the “excited for food” dance she does- she’s been looking for them for weeks! Across the street is a little bakery, not really with a name. They had all sorts of cakes and cookies and brownies and it smelled amazing in there! I asked when they were made and the response was something like, “she just pulled them out this morning.” Yum.

The show was fine. A lot of the kids are getting sick, so there was some switching of solos and things, but they did a great job of it. For some reason, there was more flash photography in this house than any other- it was crazy! Since we couldn’t find any house people and Sarah, Kyle and I were all sitting in the middle of the house, Sarah ran lights for a bit and I ran around “bouncing” people, asking them to please put there cameras and phones away. Oh my. I really wanted to take away their SD cards. That was really the long and short of the show. The locals were great- your typical stagehands. Most of them had hair longer than mine is, including the ME, whose was in a ponytail and probably able to tuck into his belt.

Today, we had a school show nice and early, and an even sicker Choir. It really showed off how smart these kids are- changing lots of things last minute, and even forgetting to practice some of the changes, but the kids picking it up during the show and rolling with it, filling places and lines. They did a great job, despite looking like they were about to die. Prossy really brought a lot of energy to the stage, which helped. And “little” Alice and Rebecca and Susan and Mugambwa were all sorts of wide awake, which helped too.

Load out went really fast, especially since we struck the flags last night. I wasn’t feeling too well after load out, so we ate quickly and headed back to the hotel to pass out. The rest of the day was low-key. Nap, lots of reading, a bit of work. We went to dinner at Cracker Barrel; I whooped up on Sarah in some cribbage (I won the first game, and the second game I was losing the whole time and still won.) Now we’re watching Gladiator and hanging out until bedtime. During our game, we had a surprise visit from Auntie Stacie’s girls who came in to give us all Valentines.

Yesterday I learned about speeds of DMX, as some of the lights were popping on and off, not going out or on when I wanted, so we had to play with some settings. Today I had a fun convo with the locals about the Alabama state flag and the Civil War.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb