Memphis, Tennessee


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alabama
December 6th 2022
Published: March 7th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Mississippi RiverMississippi RiverMississippi River

We enjoyed sitting by the river and watching the barges. This was the view from the Tom Sawyer RV Park.
Our next campsite, Tom Sawyer RV Park, was located on the west side of the mighty Mississippi River. Memphis got its name because the Egyptian city was also located on a mighty river, the Nile. The first thing we did was visit the Pyramid, which houses Bass Pro Shops. There is a stream inside with fish, a hotel, and up near the top of the pyramid is a restaurant and an outdoor viewing platform. Next was a visit to the famous Beale Street. While colorful, it is a bit rundown. A haven for lovers of nightlife, especially blues fans. We drove by Graceland and St. Jude's Hospital, two national landmarks in the city.

Day two we enjoyed a workout at Planet Fitness, then eating lunch at Central BBQ near Beale Street, and drove past the Lorraine Hotel where MLK was murdered. We completed the day by getting groceries and fuel to be ready for our departure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Bass Pro ShopsBass Pro Shops
Bass Pro Shops

The pyramid is large and stands out among the rest of the architecture.
Bass Pro ShopsBass Pro Shops
Bass Pro Shops

Waterway with ducks and fish.
ElevatorElevator
Elevator

Elevator to the Walburgers and observation deck. There is also the Big Cypress Lodge in the pyramid. Worth stopping to check it out. We both found hats for hiking and a hydration pack for hiking.
Beale StreetBeale Street
Beale Street

Sign marking the beginning of the club district.
ElvisElvis
Elvis

Statue of the king on Beale Street.
Beale StreetBeale Street
Beale Street

Several blocks are barricaded to allow pedestrian traffic only.
Old Daisy TheaterOld Daisy Theater
Old Daisy Theater

Built in 1912 it was an early movie theater. Now it is used as a banquet hall providing live entertainment. This grand half dome is the entrance on Beale Street.
GracelandGraceland
Graceland

This is a view from the street of the front of the house. There was a large nativity scene in the front lawn.
GracelandGraceland
Graceland

The home is in a poor area of Memphis. It doesn't match the rest of the area.
BBQBBQ
BBQ

Delicious! There was enough food for several meals.


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb