Mexico - Oaxaca and Pacific Coast


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico
February 7th 2010
Published: February 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I took the 15 hour bus journey from Palenque to Oaxaca - a beautiful colonial town further north surrounded by hills - and arrived 8am in the morning tired and bleary eyed and checked into a hotel. I had arranged to meet up with a friend, Martina, that I met in Habana and we spent the rest of the day exploring the city. Later that evening we met a local guy through couch surfing called Octavio and had dinner and beers with him and his friends at his house just outside of the city.

Octavio invited us to stay with him for the rest of our time in Oaxaca so we spent the day hanging out in the town and then later in the evening, when he had finished work, we got a lift back with him. The next day he took us out to a village outside the city with some of his friends, he showed us the markets and all sorts of tasty foods, and then we drank some beers and ate some food on the shore of a lake in the hills. When it got dark we retired to a bar in the nearby village where we drank some more and Martina and I practised our salsa skills from Cuba. Staying with Octavio was great: he and his friends were very welcoming and fun, and enabled us to connect with some local people there.

We spent three nights in Oaxaca in total and then took another bus to Puerto Escondido, a world famous surfing resort on the Pacific coast and home to a wave called "the Mexican Pipeline". I was expecting the town to be full of surf dudes but it was suprisingly quiet, maybe due to the fact that the swell wasn't particularly fierce and the waves not that big. Nevertheless, the beaches were long, quiet, and beautiful and the weather was hot and sunny. We really enjoyed spending a couple of days chilling out, walking on the beach, and drinking cocktails on the beach at sunset (such a cliche I know!).

We then moved on to an even more relaxed and beautiful beach resort called Mazunte, which is about an hour further down the coast. We had a fantastic cabana with a balcony providing beautiful views of the beaches. Sunrise from our bedroom window was fantastic the next morning! Again we did little more than relax on the beach, drink some beers, and some yoga in the mornings.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



21st February 2010

This blog is a fantastic idea hun. You are obviously having a great experience. Can't wait for episode 6 (I think it is). Take care of your self x
21st February 2010

PS Woke up to thick snow here this morning. Think you're in the right place! x

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb