Zacatecas


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Zacatecas
April 9th 2007
Published: April 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

ZacatecasZacatecasZacatecas

The city/town is pretty well in the middle of nowhere, topographically speaking, but it is a jewel for sure. Note the small white round dome and two towers in the middle, foreground. We settled in the Hostel Villa Colonial, about 150ft to the left of the dome.

Zacatecas

 North America » Mexico » Zacatecas By Traveller1
April 9th 2007Zacatecas is the most northern of Mexico's silver cities. It is located in the northern, central highlands. The city takes it's name from the local Zacatecos tribe, part of the Chichmec group of tribes. This tribe was extracting mineral deposits long before the Spanish arrived. However, as soon as the Spanish learned of the mineral wealth of the region it was "game over" for the locals. Caravans of silver left for Mexico City making the silver barons in Zacatecas wealthy as well as enhancing the wealth of Spain. It still remains a mining center.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

View From Our Rooftop DeckView From Our Rooftop Deck
View From Our Rooftop Deck

The white domed Cathedral was just off of our rooftop deck. This was an especially nice spot in the early morning watching the sun rising and hearing the incessant call of the vehicle loud speakers shouting "gas" i.e. gas being used in the kitchens.
Our Roof Top KitchenOur Roof Top Kitchen
Our Roof Top Kitchen

Although small, the rooftop kitchen was ideal for preparing meals and then sitting on the deck joining other travellers from around the world. We met a couple from Michigan who are packing it in stateside and seeking a new life either in Mexico or elsewhere in the Spanish speaking world. We met folks, not always young, from Portugal, Brazil, Berlin, USA, France, Canada, etc. etc. right here in our little rooftop abode and enjoyed their company and experiences for a brief time.
CathedralCathedral
Cathedral

Inside the Cathedral the (white dome)we found less ornamentation then we expected given the many churches we had seen thusfar on our travels.
Mine TunnelMine Tunnel
Mine Tunnel

The Eden Mine (Mina El Eden)in Zacatecas was once one of the richest in Mexico, where gold, silver, iron, copper and zinc was extracted. The mine commenced operations in 1586 with enslaved natives, including children spending there lives working the ore bodies.
Moi at El EdenMoi at El Eden
Moi at El Eden

I took a tour of the mine and learned that an estimated 2500 individuals died working the pit. After slavery natives were given wages to work; however, being forced to purchase food and lodging for their families from the mine store they quickly fell behind in their debt. This resulted in a lifetime of labor and when a laborer died, before the debt was paid, his very young children were required to continue working to pay the debt.
Samana Santa ProcessionSamana Santa Procession
Samana Santa Procession

The week before Easter is called Samana Santa. It is a time of festivals and entertainment. This time leads to good Friday and the commemoration of the trials of Jesus as he finally made his way to Calvary. This event finds expression in street processions involving statuary of Christ and others being pulled through the streets.
Rock ConcertRock Concert
Rock Concert

From street processions depicting the last hours of Christ to Rock Concerts, Zacatecas had it all. We went to the central plaza (Plaza des Armes) for nightly entertainment. This group was from France and a bit LOUD! We left early.
Hanging Out Hanging Out
Hanging Out

We are in Zacatecas the week before Easter and while we spend a lot of time at the various events it is also a time for just hanging out and taking it easy, here at the park Enrique Estrada.
Teleferico (Aerial Cable Car)Teleferico (Aerial Cable Car)
Teleferico (Aerial Cable Car)

One afternoon I took the cable car that soars over Zac. It leads to Cerro De La Bufa, or hill overlooking Zac. The small Museo de la Toma de Zacatecas contains artifacts from a 1914 battle fought on the hill's slopes.
Artillery Doing Their ThingArtillery Doing Their Thing
Artillery Doing Their Thing

The battle involved the revolutionary Division del Norte led by Poncho Villa (yes the same guy often portrayed in Hollywood westerns as a "bandito") and Felipe Angeles against President Huerta's 12,000 soldiers. The battle was won by Poncho and his revolutionaries.
PonchoPoncho
Poncho

"Poncho", as in Poncho Villa was really General Poncho Villa of the revolutionary forces. Here he is galloping toward us in the battle of Zacatacas perhaps thinking "adios amigos".


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb