Mexican Hat


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Zacatecas » Zacatecas
October 20th 2009
Published: October 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We are now in Mexico and feeling surprisingly comfortable- everyone we meet has gone out of their way to assist us. The guy at the car wash in Hidalgo de Parral who showed us the way on his bicycle to the hotel we were looking for!, the owners of Hotel Acosta who allowed us to park in their front foyer to make sure the bike was safe & secure (although it could be seen by all through the window!). We are currently in the beautiful UNESCO world heritage city of Zacatecas- we arrived on a busy Saturday afternoon during the (unknown to us) International street theatre festival ! There were lots of people in the streets and so much traffic congestion as we drove around the centre looking for a hotel. We were once again greeted with an invitation to drive the bike in through the front door and park in the courtyard of the delightful Hotel Reyna Soledad, a converted 17th century convent close to the central Plaza de Armas and stunning cathedral.
Most of our travel has been on secondary roads that are in pretty good condition. There is very little traffic apart from large often old and overloaded trucks or locals travelling from one village to the next in their often beat up Chevrolet utes. Travelling through the centre of the country we have come across hilly desert landscapes with lots of strange looking cacti, in some places fields of bright yellow autumn flowers, huge ranches with cows and horses, small villages with people on horseback or donkeys, and the mountains of the Sierra Madre Occidental on the horizon. Just like in the western movies!
A special thanks goes to the military guys who told us we were going in the wrong direction as we struggled with getting through what we thought was a detour due to road works. This included ploughing through muddy and heavy gravel slippery roads, roads with lots of water and huge potholes for about 10km outside of Guachochi.
Muchas gracias to Lorena and Lucia for their help with our desperate attempts to solve our telecommunications problems in Mexico.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



24th October 2009

yeehaaaaaa!!
Oh I am sooooo jealous - in the nicest possible way - it sounds wonderful. I thought Mexico would be a horror story but No, you proved everybody wrong! The best thing about where you are, are the people who are with you. lots of love and following every precious little word you write..... (write more words!!!!)xxxxxxxxxxlove love love, Marie

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb