Mexico - 4th Fen


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán
March 6th 2008
Published: March 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our flight to Cancun was delayed and we arrived at 10pm (2 hr delay). We could not get over how built up Cancun was between the airport and downtown where our hotel was located. It was a bit like Los Vegas meets the Sunshine coast. We both agreed that it not to our liking. We spent two nights in Cancun. We had some admin we had to get sorted for the boat. I quiet liked the place but was in desperate need for some R&R.

After a rave review from Sue Wood, Si and I took the half an hour ferry to Isla Majures. It was a lot busier than I had imagined the small island being that Sue had described. Unfortunately tourism is taking its hold with day tripers from Cancun and a number of large resorts under construction. It is still beautiful and there is still the odd secluded beach to be found. On arrival, I drew the short straw and went in search for accommodation. I went and had a look at the youth hostel and standing in line behind some very young 18 year olds (good thing Simon didn’t go), I really hoped that they did not have any thing available with private room and bathroom. My plea was heard and I was turned away. My second choice was Hotel Vistalmar. The moment we walked intp the place we felt like we had come home. We scored a great room on the second floor over looking the ocean (all for $30 a night). We stayed for four nights and met some fantastic people including Jim, Brenda, Pete, Linda and little Maya, Nina, Phil, Shirlee and Wes. We spent our days on the beach, drinking tequila and enjoying the close community of people that come back to the hotel each year (Some for up to 30 years) for months….reminds me a bit of Hotel California  We decided to leave the island and see more of Mexico and Cuba before we too could check out any time but you can never leave….

We left Isla and took a 2nd class bus that took to Chichen itza. Going 2nd class we drove though all the villages along the way. It was pouring rain and many of the streets where under water. We saw the place we wanted to stay and Si somehow got the bus to stop for us. The hotel had two pools and hammocks which of course we could not use because of the rain. We got up early the next morning with the intent of being at Chichen itza when it opened so to beat the crowds. The place is amazing. We hired a Mayan guide who explained all the ruins, the culture and gave some really good insight into the demise of the cities.

That afternoon we headed for Valladolid. It started raining again so after wondering around looking at tourist shops, we bought some tequila and veged out watching cable TV. I should mention that the Mexican’s are lovely people. They always had a smile and always helpful. Our Spanish sucked but we had a lot of fun trying. We would often go to dinner and not have a clue what we where ordering. It was always good so we were not too concerned.

While in Valladolid we explored a couple of the Cenotes (Soak wells) in the area. We went to one a few km’s out of town. It was located in a cave with a sky light. The water was crystal clear. We went swimming and the water was magical, you could see the cat fish swimming under you. It was very idyllic until a tourist bus of Japanese arrived on the scene. We hitched back to town and watched more TV. We figure that we might as well make the most of it while we can.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb