Museo Del Mundo Maya


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Merida
March 1st 2015
Published: March 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hit up the Museo del Mundo Maya. We thought it'd be a good thing to do to get a little background on the ruins we'd been visiting since we hadn't been taking any guided tours.

We hopped the city bus on Calle 56 between 57 and 59 for MXN7 and got off at the Gran Plaza, a big mall close to the museum. We still had to walk about 15 minutes along the major road to reach the museum. It cost MXN150 to get into the museum. Much of the information was in English, but all the movies were in Spanish so they just turned into nice places to sit for a few minutes. It started out as a history of the areas geology, flora, and fauna; it didn't really seem to tie into the Mayan history but it was interesting to learn some more about the area. They figure that the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs landed north of Merida and the Yucatán. That meterorite may have also contributed to the creation of the cenotes, by pushing the water through the cave system and eroding the limestone more quickly. The cenotes were essential for the Mayan communities to thrive because they provided fresh water where no surface rivers were found.

The next building was more about the history of the people. It unfortunately didn't get in to each specific archeological site like we hoped, but it was really neat. What was really good was seeing the map of the archeological sites and at points in history they we occupied. We also learned to count using the Mayan system which used a base 20 system; tricky for our base 10 brain to comprehend.

After lunch in the mall food court and the bus trip back to the town centre we waited at the hostel for our night bus to Palenque.

Advertisement



9th March 2015

It's good to hear from you!

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb