Big Colonial City


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Merida
February 12th 2007
Published: February 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Merida yesterday afternoon after taking the second class bus from Vallodolid. Most people going this far - 160 km - were taking the first class bus - 112 vs 74 pesos - but the second class bus takes you on the small highway and stops at alot of the small villages so I thought that would be more interesting / and it was. Sleepy towns on Saturday afternoon, a few people milling about, tiny homes, many dogs and chickens about, dirt roads, but it seems like an ok life. It is only here in Merida that I have seen people begging - mainly mayan women / some with kids / and handicapped - but not nearly as many as I see on the streets of Montreal, Toronto or Victoria. Got here in the heat of the day and walked up from the bus station - a little over 1km. The bus station was a little out of the central more tourist area. Everywhere are crowded narrow sidewalks, but many stores were closed for the siesta.

Merida is an old colonial city -pop 600,000 to 900,000 depending on what you read - as is Vallodolid pop 40,000- founded in 1542 or 1562 - with many churches and parks and narrow streets. Birds gather and make a ruckas in the trees in the parks at sunset. There is less green and fewer natural sounds than in Vallodolid. It can be very crowded - especially around the markets - went to the local shopping street and to the municipal market - bought too much fruit. Goint through the villages you see many fruit laiden trees, tangerines, papayas etc and many from the villages come in to sell fruit at the markets. Also discoverd jicama - a root crop- and some other fruit whose name I do not know. fruit is cheap here, street food very reasonable, but moderate restos not much cheaper than Canada. It is interesting to see the relative prices for things - groceries are not always that cheap, coffee out is the same as in Canada, shoes are cheap - in sizes 3-5 or 6, clothing is cheaper etc. Buses are cheap.

There are many free events here. Last night saw folk music and dancing in a park at the end of Paseo de Montejo / locals and both mexican and international tourists, and cheap stands selling local food - I ate some meat and think I will need to be doing more of that. Today is Domingo in Merida - market but its been raining all day so not much was doing - went to a few museums and galleries instead and walked around - and tonight there is music and fun in the main square where I am heading once I finish this.

The hostel is nice, but not as good as the last which was excellent. Talking to a few people which is nice - sharing travel tips and fruit - and now see a few familiar faces on the streets. I feel quite visible as a woman alone, though late today I say a few other women on their own. Tommorow I hope to see more ruins if it is not raining.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb