To the Gulf of Mexico and Celestun!


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Celestun
October 20th 2015
Published: October 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Back to Mexico and the Yucutan! Our next destination was Celestun, a small coastal resort on the Gulf of Mexico which we hoped to make our base for the next few weeks. We flew into Cancun from Havana and spent the night in the Alux Hotel. We chose this hotel for its proximity to the bus station. It wasn't such a good choice, a great room but so noisy! Air conditioning made a racket and the traffic outside the window didn't stop all night! We had booked our bus tickets on the ADO first class bus to Merida. ( Theres a diverse range of companies running a bus service, it's important to know the name of the company as they all have different bus terminals.) Now this was a good choice! We had read about the bus service in Mexico being world class, our bus service at home could learn a thing or two! Spacious leather, reclining seats, air conditioned, Film for the duration of the journey ( although this was in Spanish and I was more interested in catching up on my sleep! ) Luggage was marked by the driver and put in the hold and could only be retrieved by the driver on production of your luggage receipt. The driver announced we were going to Merida and the journey would take approximately 4 hours. (Seats were chosen on booking) The journey actually only took 3 and a half hours! The next challenge was to find the bus station for the bus to Celestun. The streets in Merida are arranged in a grid, which seems logical and sensible once you get the hang of it. We thought it would be easy to get there on foot. We had arrived in Calle 70 and had to find our way to Calle 50. We stepped out into the searing heat - the only solution was to fall into a taxi! Arrived on time to catch the 12.30 bus and finally we were on the last stage of our journey! we picked up the keys to the house and took a motorbike taxi with our luggage just a few blocks down the street and we had arrived!! The house is amazing! A view of the sea, our own swimming pool! We had arrived at the beautiful beach side home of Roger and Chris, our Intervac exchange partners. After all the travelling of the last few days, it just felt like heaven!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Pool and Bar areaPool and Bar area
Pool and Bar area

Hugh couldn't wait to dive in!


17th September 2017

Celestun Biosphere
Hi, Nice post about the town of Celestun, looks like a nice place for biking. Did you have a chance to go see the Celestun Biosphere? It's an experience unlike any other: http://mike.polischuk.net/2017/09/celestun-flamingos-and-mangroves-on-the-coast-of-yucatan/
17th September 2017

Celestun
Thanks for your interest Michael. We were there in October and didn't find it good for biking, too hot and humid! The biosphere was fantastic. We did a boat trip through the mangrove and it was amazing! Would definitely recommend it!

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb