El Tajin


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Veracruz » El Tajin
January 22nd 2009
Published: January 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

El Tajin is an archaeological site located near the town of Papantla, Veracruz, Mexico. This was the first archaeological zone we visited on our trip.

El Tajin is in good condition and certainly worth a visit, although locating the site is not an altogether easy task and finding your way back is a bit more difficult yet. The site can be thoroughly appreciated in half a day, and because it is somewhat off the beaten path it is not overcrowded by tour groups and vendors.

El Tajin is considered to be of the Totonac indigenous culture. The name El Tajin means city of thunder. The city reached its peak circa 800 CE and prospered as a population center until 1200 CE.

Structures at El Tajin include approximately a dozen structures, a main plaza, and a handful of ball courts. Among the first structures built at El Tajin included the main plaza and its adjacent ball courts, indicating the importance of trade and the interconnectedness of sacred and secular practices. Also indicative of high regard given to the ball game are scenes carved in stone depicting events of the game.

The buildings at El Tajin are reminiscent of those at the Mayan site of Edzna in the Mexican state of Campeche. Other structures have features reminiscent of Mayan structures from the Puuc region of Yucatan.

I am always fascinated by visual connections among and between culture groups and regions such as irrigation techniques, artistic expressions, architectural features or structural organization.




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



23rd January 2009

cah-ooool!
Cool photos, and hey, your bangs are getting longer! LOL!

Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0727s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb