The best fish tacos in town


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Sonora » Hermosillo
February 1st 2008
Published: August 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

It was a long day on the bus from Los Mochis to Hermosillo. We were finding more and more Mexicans who spoke English since we were getting closer to the USA so managed to spend some of the time chatting. The scenery got pretty as we passed the coastal town of Guaymas and headed inland again where lots and various cactus grew. We also saw a convoy of perhaps 20 Canadian mobile homes. Most were big monstrous vehicles with more space than the average London flat and the family car was being towed.

At Hermosillo we arranged our bus to the USA and had a taxi take us to the Colonial Hotel. We didn't like the look of it really, being on a busy road and very motel-like and overpriced. The taxi man could see our uncertainty and suggested another hotel closer to town in old colonial style buildings. We took his recommendation (and he got a commission for our delivery) and got a big room with a kitchenette for P$600 a night. We stocked the fridge with goodies for our stay.

We met a Couch Surfer called Rafael. A lovely guy, he took us out in his new big black Chevy Tahoe and went for dinner at El Lenador. Fantastic meat! He took us up the Cerro de la Campana which afforded a view of the city lights. Then we went to a bar for a few drinks. Pieter was getting in his last few Tequilas before leaving Mexico. The next morning Rafael treated us to breakfast at one of his 4 fish taco restaurants. It was absolutely fantastic .. for me, Rae .. Pieter just watched while I ate. Wonderful deep-fried battered fish and shrimp and tuna with lots of salads and sauces. El Pescadito (www.elpescadito.com.mx) for anyone visiting Hermosillo. We then went to another restaurant for Pieter and Rafael to eat. Tacos again but with shredded beef. Rafael made our stay in Hermosillo very memorable.

We explored the old part of town on our own. The Cathedral and Government buildings were well kept but lots of the cities colonial buildings were crumbling. Although that gives it a special kind of charm, it is also sad to imagine what might happen to them in the future. We visited the Museo de Sonora which was housed in a former prison.

The state of Sonora is famous for its steak so our final night in Mexico and my (Rae's) birthday was spent at Sonora Steak. Quite posh in a lovely house we ate big slabs of meat and baked potatoes. We also splashed out on desert and cocktails.

The next morning we were on a bus to the USA and our 7 week visit to Mexico was over.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 26; qc: 113; dbt: 0.1033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb