Mexico Vacation March 2014 (Rob and I)


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo
March 8th 2014
Published: May 3rd 2020
Edit Blog Post

Mexico Vacation March 2014

Day 1 (March 8th)

Flight was good. We got chocolates at the Charlotte Airport on our layover there, then on to Cancun. We were transferred to Akumal Beach Resort in Akumal where our room was on the 3rd floor of Building 6. Awesome view from our balcony, overlooking the ocean. They sent Champagne to our room the first night. We drank it all and had a very nice evening.

Day 2 (March 9th)

We snorkeled in the Bay just in front of the resort, it was very nice. Afterwards, we swam in the pool, although it was a bit on the cool side. We decided to nap in the hammocks instead.

We set up an excursion through AllTourNative tours for Tuesday, then walked over to Akumal to set up dives for the week. I bought a cup in Akumal. Rob saw a shirt he liked, but it was not his size. 😞 We then stayed in our room for another nice evening.

Day 3 (March 10th)

We went on an 11am dive which was on the Yalku reef. It was an amazing and long dive, because it was shallower. I like shallow reef dives. We came back to our resort afterwards and swam a little in the pool. We then grabbed some ice cream before heading to our room for a nice nap.

After dinner, we walked the beach, star gazed a little and then went to the beach bar to watch the Mr. Akumal contest and drink a little. Rob bought a genuine Cuban cigar and got to smoke it while we were there.

Day 4 (March 11th)

We were picked up early for our Mayan tour with AllTourNative. They took us to an authentic Mayan village that was still much like they had been a thousand years ago. The village was mostly self sufficient, growing crops and raising their own meat. It was really cool. A Mayan priest performed a blessing ritual for us so that we could swim in their cenote if we wanted. We opted not to swim, but it was still very pretty, and an honor to be a part of.

A Mayan woman in the village showed us how they prepare the corn for cakes and another woman was hand weaving hammocks. I bought one for $40, and I love it! The tour then continued at a modern day Mayan town where they were preparing a traditional Mayan meal, complete with corn cakes like the ones the woman demonstrated making at the village. Everything was delicious.

After lunch, we were taken to Coba. The guide walked us around the ruins and gave us some interesting information about everything we were seeing. Then we rented some bikes there and rode out to the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan. Rob climbed all the way to the top, my macho man!!

By the time we got back to the resort and swam a little to cool off, we were tired and crashed early in our room.

Day 5 (March 12th)

We dove in the morning on motorcycle reef. Champu was one of our dive masters, I knew him from previous vacation dives in Akumal. It was fun. When we got back to the resort, we went for a swim at the pool, watched a cocktail making class and then went back to the room for a nice nap.

In the evening, we walked down to dinner and saw a gorgeous rainbow! We stopped to take pictures of that and a flock of flamingoes flew by. So cool. We had dinner at the A La Carte Italian restaurant at the resort. It was very romantic and the food was great. After the dinner we checked our email in the lobby (the only real place we could get a signal). It is such a nice peaceful sitting area with wooden windchimes that mix with the sound of the sea to make such a relaxing melody.

We then went back to the room to change out of our dinner clothes and come back down to watch the Miss Akumal contest. I came up with an idea for a drink and since the alcohol was free and they would mix anything you wanted I tried it out. It was 1 shot Kahlua, 1shot Irish Creme and 1 shot Amaretto. It was so good, tasted like hot chocolate.

Day 6 (March 13th)

We got up and got ready for our cenote dive. We paid at the dive shop before we left and the guy there gave us the local rate because we were "regulars". 😊 I love them.

We dove Chacmool Cenote, which had two parts which was done in two dives. The first dive was in a huge cavern, it was just okay. My ears would not clear, so I didn't get to go on the more interesting dive into the cave. Rob went on both. At the end of the dive, Champu drove us right to our resort so that we would not have to lug our gear along the beach to the resort. They really are the best dive shop I have ever dove with.

We had lunch at the resort, then spent a little time checking the internet before lounging for a bit in the hammocks. It got a bit too cool, so we went back to our room to fill out our dive books and take a nap. Afterward, we went back to the lobby for more internet searching and just enjoying the nice evening and the sound of chimes and sea. A Coatl (something like a racoon) came sauntering out of the bushes toward us. Everyone went nuts trying to get pictures of it. It is nice being in a smallish resort where we can get to know some of the other vacationers.

After dinner, we went down and sat under a palapa on the beach and just listened to the waves. We saw the light of someone snorkeling in the night. It looked kind of fun, but we were tired, so we retired for the evening.

Day 7 (March 14th)

We had breakfast, then I had tea in my new Akumal cup in the lobby seating area and then we went back to our room to change into swimsuits. We went to the beach to snorkel a little. We met some nice people and saw some cool stuff in the water. Afterwards, we showered, then came back down to watch a Coco party. They gave us fresh coconut drinks, and we ate lunch in the pool bar. There were some sweet hungry kitties, so we gave them some of our food. Love the kitties!

We headed into the town of Akumal after lunch. We did a little more shopping at the Chomak, got some souvenirs and then rented some bike to make the trip to La Buena Vida. It was pretty crowded and they had even had to add tables outside. It was still very pretty. Rob climbed up into the treehouse even though I chickened out. We both had a few drinks and were surprised by a walk in Mayan show. Two guys and a girl, promoting preservation of Mayan ruins, came in dressed in authentic Mayan attire and did some ceremonial stuff and a Mayan dance. They were really good.

We made our way back to the resort, swam a little to cool off as the town was pretty hot, especially riding bikes. We each then went and got massages in a hut on the beach. We got all oily and then went to dinner that way. 😊 Walking back to our room after dinner, we were surprised to see a nearly full moon in the night sky. We meandered along the beach a bit to enjoy a moonlit walk before going back to the room to pack.

The resort had a show later that night, so we decided to check it out. It was a Mexican story, done ok.

Day 8 (March 15th)

It was a nice ride back to Cancun from the resort. We managed to get first class again, so it was a nice flight as well. It was a wonderful and relaxing trip. 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.465s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb