Tulum


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Tulum
November 26th 2014
Published: February 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Our eight hour trip from Flores to Chetumel in Mexico through Belize took 10.5 hours. We were dropped off at the bus station and there was a bus heading to Tulum in ten minutes so we hopped on rather than spending a night in Chetumel. We arrived in Tulum just after 10pm and walked down the main road until we found somewhere to stay.

Tulum is on the main highway and not an attractive town but it is situated near the Tulum ruins and a spectacular beach. As a result it is growing and becoming a bit of a tourist hub.

The next morning we hired bikes for the day and began by heading out to the Tulum ruins which are built in the most amazing setting overlooking the Caribbean sea. They are the only Mayan ruins on the coast and have a great view. We arrived midmorning so it was busy with groups on day trips from Cancun and Playa del Carmen.

The ruins are on a much smaller scale than some of the others we have seen however you can't beat the setting and backdrop of the turquoise water and the beach below. We decided not
to swim at the beach as there was very limited space and it looked pretty overrun with day trippers.

After we left the ruins we headed along the coast and stopped at an area of the beach a short distance from the road and not too busy. The sand was lovely and white, while the water was warm but still refreshing in the heat of the day.

The beach area had very limited options for lunch so eventually we cycled back to the main street in town where we had more options. As this was our only day in Tulum after our late lunch we decided to head back to the beach and make the most of the beautiful Tulum beach.

Next stop Playa del Carmen


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement




24th February 2015
The beach and ruins

Gorgeous beach and ruins!
Glad the beach is still warm and beautiful! When I was there a million years ago, there was no Tulum town, just thatched roof palapas and little stands selling fish tacos on the beach. I'd just swim off the beach and out to the reefs for snorkeling. Hearing your reports of a crowded ruins and an ugly town, now I'm afraid to return. Still, it looks lovely!

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb