Tulum: happy travelling again


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Tulum
November 25th 2006
Published: December 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Tulum ruinsTulum ruinsTulum ruins

Ruins and beach, what more do you need?
After the trials and tribulations of Playa Del Carmen, it is good o hit the road again (not the sidewalk) and get to Tulum.

Again the photos will have to wait, though for those too impatient I´m sure a quick search of travelblog.org would reveal any number of Tulum pictures.

Tulum is just a short bus ride, or in this case a short collectivo ride south from Playa Del Carmen. Hooked up with two americans, Marty and Keith, on the way to the collectivo departure point. Had met Marty up in the hostel in Cancun; hadn´t met Keith before. Ended up sat next to Keith on the collectivo and got chatting about some of my travel plans ahead. He outlined a number of destinations in Thailand I might look out when I´m there. When I got off the collectivo, Marty and Keith were to head straight onto Chetumal and on from there.

The collectivo dropped me off at the highway, at the stopping off point for the Tulum ruins. The Tulum ruins are on top of cliffs overlooking the Caribean. There are cabañas (cabins) on the beach stretching along the beach from the foot of the cliffs. With my smaller backpack and my wheeled luggage, I declined the offers of taxi drivers, hiked my way to the ruins entrance and then on the El Mirador collection of cabañas. (Note on the use of wheeled luggage, unmetalled roads and large stones/rocks can prove tricky!)

The beach was fantastic and my cabaña was right on the front row edging the beach. Water was a suitable turquoise colour; sand fine and almost white.

Next thing that happens: Keith turns up. Apparently Marty´s travel plans were too involved or something and Keith was anxious to hit the beach. So I had a travel buddy for the next few days!

Spent about three days in Tulum, visiting the ruins, putting some work into that tan and trying to go diving. Trying to go diving seemed to more difficult than it might at first seem. Between mexican laid back time keeping and late morning/afternoon breezes morning dives became afternoon dives and reef dives became open water Cenote dives. Somewhat frustrated at not getting in a reef dive, the time had come to more on and hit the more major ruins in the interior.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Tulum beachTulum beach
Tulum beach

As seen from the ruins


8th December 2006

Knee forgotten?
This is more like it, now you sound as if you've really begun your travels! I can just see that turquoise sea and white sand (like snow!) Am I right that the knee is not bothering you toomuch, ignoring taxis and hoping to dive?
13th December 2006

More WOW!!
What a sunrise to join the sunset! And that turquoise sea,so lovely. About time for an update photo of the suntan, please. Quite something to have ruins and beach in one scene. All we've got in Hampton Hill is roadworks_again_and massive traffic jams to go with them!..........more love..........Mum

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 20; qc: 84; dbt: 0.0694s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb