"You've gotta BELIZE it to BELIEVE it"


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Playa del Carmen
December 17th 2010
Published: December 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Welcome to Homieville. I am starting with Belize City as this is the only place i have experienced culture shock on this trip so far. Usually tourists only make this stop over (unless they are rich cruise ship passengers) to get the water-taxi straight to Caye Caulker. Unfortunately Tandi had to take her special accounting exam at the University of Belize, so we stayed the night. Tandi rocked up at the university, which she described as "an abandoned primary school in Inala", but the exam hadn't arrived.. thanks for letting us know UQ! It was weird being in a city where everyone is yelling at you to buy something in English.. normally we don't understand so it's easy to ignore and keep going. We ended up getting bullied into going to some restaurant when we weren't even looking for food! The room we stayed in was the strangest i have ever stayed in.. the only thing separating the toilet and shower from the bedroom was a curtain. All the advertisement's were written in slang too.. for example "Let us help you stretch yah dollah", hilarious.

So where the last blog left off we were in Lanquin, Guatemala- my favorite place in the country. The rest of our time there was spent tubing on the river and swimming in the pools of Semuc Champey. I can imagine this could have been what Vang Vieng, Laos was before tourism completely took over. The next stop was Flores where we visited the ruins of Tikal where we saw a tucan! Some of these temples are massive.. it's hard to imagine them being built by man back in those days.

Now we are back in Mexico at Playa del Carmen and we will be meeting our other amigos Seany and Stu in a couple of hours- can't wait to see them! It's definately nice to be back in the heat.. for some reason our accommodation in the past week has only given us a sheet so we have had to wear stockings, tights, jeans, all our jumpers and towels to bed, as well as skip a few showers. I can smell Tandi from here- gross.

Anyway, must be off.. Buenos dias! xx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb