Travel Home Day


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Akumal
March 15th 2009
Published: March 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Woke up this morning a little later than any other morning this trip. This how it generally happens, I get up at the crack of dawn everyday but our travel home day. I guess I am just too wiped out from all our activities and too bummed out that I have to go home. Our flight leaves out of Cancun at 2:30pm so we need to be out of the condo and on the road by 10:30am in order to have plenty of time to drop the rental car off and get some lunch at the airport. We packed up all our stuff, a little less care going into it now that we are leaving, emptied the fridge...our lucky neighbors got the remaining cervezas and Javier got a nice bottle of Spanish Red Wine and off we go. The drive back to Cancun was uneventful, although we did see the Federales patrolling between Playa Del Carmen and Cancun. I think it helped we had a youngster with us in the back seat as they were actively pulling tourists over. But, luckily we didn't get pulled over and made it to the rental car company around 11:30am. Turned the car in with no issues and waited about 10 minutes for the shuttle to the airport. When we arrived at the airport it was obvious that it was a Saturday during Spring Break. Very busy! We walked in the terminal and found that the Delta counter was THE BUSIEST one there. I didn't hold out much hope at this time for lunch once we got into the gate area; however, I was dead wrong. Even though the line wound through 8 or 9 switchbacks and was snaked halfway down the terminal, we made it through in less than 45 minutes! The ladies working the counter we very efficient...even if the travellers weren't. There was group of 6 adults in front of us and I seriously think they had 3 checked bags each and 2 carryons...and their checked bags were all over weight. I can't imagine that I have that much to pack for a week trip, I'd have to start throwing in the kitchen sink! Anyways, we get our boarding passes and off to the security check point and lunch. A little bit of a wait to get through security but not too bad. Headed to the gates to find some lunch. Margaritaville had a line of people 15 deep so we walked over to Bubba Gumps where they too had a long line but there is a little secret to be shared....Bubba Gump's has 2 seating entrances, one in the front and one on the side. We walked over to the side entrance and were sat withing 3 minutes! Cha-Ching! Ordered our lunch and were done with about 15 minutes before we board. I don't think it could have gone any smoother.

Landed in Nashville 3 hours later to a rainy and cooler evening. Nothing like the snow that we heard was hitting the Mid West but cooler than Akumal!

We had an absolutely fabulous vacation and will certainly be looking to do this again in the next year. The area was perfect for us, especially with our 11 year old son. We always felt safe and didn't have any fear of violence or illness. It is also nice that the individuals that work at the local establishments want to know you and remember you when you return. A real nice sense of community and appreciation for your business.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb