Puerto Angel 26th - 28th March


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca
April 1st 2007
Published: April 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

After the nightmarish journey down, we grabbed a bite to eat and a well deserved beer at the hotel restaurant. The hotel is located in a excellent spot overlooking the bay and while the rooms are pretty decent, the hotel owners and staff aren´t too friendly and you get the distinct impression that you´re more of an inconvienience than a customer. The food was also very mediocre.

That evening we booked ourselves onto a snorkelling tour for the following morning.

Despite being absolutely knackered from the previous days antics we still woke up at 6am, just in time to watch the sun rise over the bay which was made all the more spectacular by the presence of the pelicans feeding in the bay. They´re absolutely enormous and to see them fold their wings back and dive into the water from over 50 ft up was very impressive and certainly kept us entertained.

We also saw dolphins further out, aswell as ´Magnificient Frigate Birds´, which as their name suggests are absolutely awesome. They look quite unlike any other bird, and if anything, look, as you´d expect a terratactor to look, with massive wings and an odd shaped tail.

The snorkelling trip wasn´t due to depart until 9.45am and so Scott headed into Pochulta to grab some money while dani and I had some breakfast. He´d returned by 9am and so we borrowed some snorkelling gear from the dive shop next to the hotel and went for a swim in the bay. There were some brilliant looking fish, with really striking colours and all completely different to what we´d seen in South East asia. There were even some very cool puffer fish (a little bigger then ours though).

As it turned out, we didn´t set off on the snorkelling trip until 11am which was a little frustrating and it quickly became apparent that the tour was infact an excuse for a bunch of pot smoking Mexican Cowboys to rag around in a boat drinking beer. Needless to say, the four hours of snorkelling @ four different beaches turned out to be 20 minutes snorkelling in a filthy little bay (though with some cool fish), 2 hours at the guys best mates restaurant and then an hour of watching them fish for tuna. We´d been told to expect to see Whales, Dolphins and Turtles....we saw none! I´ve probably made it sound worse then it was, we did get to reel some of the fish in, but only after we asked, but at best it was pretty shabby.

One good thing did come of it though and that was meeting Aiesha and Simon, a couple from London on their hols for a few weeks. Along with Scott, we shared a few beers with these guys over lunch and exchanged various tales. Aiesha´s just set up her own Graphic Design recruitment company while Si works in television, making documentaries. As you can imagine, they had some very amusing stories to tell which made up for an otherwise disappointing trip. The beach footie was also a laugh, despite getting an absolute whipping.

That afternoon, the guys headed off to Puerto Escondido while we chilled out at the hotel before heading to Beto´s for dinner, an excellent little restaurant in the village that had been recommended to us.

The next day, we checked out of Hotel Cordelia (they couldn´t wait to see us leave) and headed into Pochulta where we grabbed a bus to Purto Escondido. We rocked up there about 1.45pm, quicly checked into Hotel Ines (seemed nice enough and had a pool) and then set off to meet Scott at 2pm and to find out if he´d managed to sort us out some fishing.....

Still in the Jungle, so photos to follow....



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0286s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb