Crazy Chics


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Oaxaca
June 28th 2009
Published: June 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So, it was with a heavy heart that we spent our last day saying good bye to Mexico City. We all really loved it. There's so much to do there, we were tempted to extend our stay some more, but you could spend 6 months there and still have loads to do. Our last day was spent having a lazy morning (much needed after pyramid climbing!!) and then heading to the Mercado. This is the largest covered maket in latin America apparently and it is absolutely massive. We had heard there was great food stalls there and we weren't disappointed! Lots of amazing smells and fuit and veg stalls were there for us and we spent a few leisurely hours strolling through the rows and rows of stalls but didn't buy anything other than food.
The following morning we got the 6 hour bus to Oaxaca (pronounced Wah-hah-kah). Even though it was a 'Deluxe' bus, all 3 of us were pretty unconfortable the whole way there and glad to be off. Oaxzcz is everything is says on the tin, really pretty colonial Spainish feel to it with loads of low buildings and a vibrant and bustling maket in the centre squre the Zocalo. Aoife & Dara were delighted with all the jewellery stalls and bought many pairs of earrings. I was delighted with all the art that's here. There are loads of contemorary art galleries with some amazing stuff. Mexican's sure are into 'the art'. I'd love to buy some of the stuff but it would impossible to get home, plus far too expensive. Hoping to get some nice textiles and 'day of the dead' masks etc, maybe tomorrow as everything shuts on a Sunday.
We were also told that the food in Oaxaca is great and we haven't been disappointed so far. Dara was the only adventurous one among us, as she sampled the apparently very tasty grasshoppers cooked in chile! Not for me or Aoife.
Tonight we're hoping to go and see some masked wrestling!!! (like in that Jack Black film) so that should be an experience, that's if we find where it's on as so far no one seems to know. We'll be leaving Oaxaca tomorrow night for a 12 hour bus journey to San Cristobal de Las Casa, our next port of call, as although we'd love to see more of Oaxaca state (the beaches on the pacific coast sound particularily good), we realise that we have to get a move on if we want to do all we've planned. So untill next time, ¡Hasta Leugo!

(photos to follow, computer playing games with me and don't want to be late for the wrestling!!!)



Advertisement



Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.078s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb