The best Mole


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Oaxaca
January 3rd 2008
Published: February 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Monte AlbanMonte AlbanMonte Alban

Ball court
We arrived on the night bus from San Cristobal at 9 am and went to the Hostal Pochon which we had booked ahead. We couldn't get our room until after the 1 pm check-in so took off to find the bus to Monte Alban. At the Hotel Rivera del Angel we brought our P$38 (US$3.60) round trip tickets for the special bus service and had time for a rotisserie chicken brunch. We had been getting a little braver lately, the chicken on the spit looked delicious even though we were not sure how long it had been there. On the bus we met a couple from Phoenix who gave us some ideas of what to do when we got there. The bus climbed a narrow road to the site which was on a plateau. We had 3 hours to look around and made good use of the time, pausing to sit and look and climbing and enjoying the views and reading the information provided by the Lonely Planet. There was also an interesting museum.

Back in town we stumbled across the Mercado 20 de Noviembre. It was filled to the brim with chocolate, sweets, metzcal and lots of little restaurants. They all looked clean so we picked a busy one and sat down at a long table opposite two Mexicans. One of them was from America and was visiting his brother, the other guy. He couldn't get the same Mexican food in America (lack of ingredients) and loved to eat in these local places as much as possible. We had a combi platter that allowed us to try lots of local delights including a red and a black mole (spicy chocolate sauce).

At the hostel we were given a tiny little box (quite pricey at P$320) which fail to keep out the sound of people in the courtyard below and we soon found they had no extra blankets for what was a very cold night. Eventually the owner found extras but we don't think everyone got one because some people looked absolutely shattered and cold in the morning.

After a cold shower in the morning we walked the 20 minutes to the terminal and brought tickets for Puebla. Feeling a bit warming we started a day of sight seeing in the city. We saw lots but here are a couple of the highlights ..

We visited the Museo Casa de Juarez, a pretty wee house where Benito Juarez (an important 19th century president) worked as a boy with a bookbinder who took him in. The workshop was preserved.

The church of Santo Domingo was beautiful with a fantastic gold interior. Attached was the Centro Cultural Santo Domingo. It was a bit pricey at P$45 and we were close on not entering when Pieter remembered it was recommended by some other travellers. There was a huge exhibit of ancient relics and colonial stuff. It went on forever through the halls of the former convent which was beautiful and provided a view of the Jardin (Garden) Etnobotanico which was in the grounds. Earlier we were disappointed that we couldn't visit the garden without a guide which would cost P$50 each.

We ate again at the same restaurant in the Mercado trying some different dishes. One thing we saw in the market that we would not be trying was the grasshoppers.

We stayed out late enjoying the street markets and lively town centre. It was brief visit but we were really impressed with the architecture and the food.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Monte AlbanMonte Alban
Monte Alban

Gran Plaza
Monte AlbanMonte Alban
Monte Alban

Gran Plaza


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb