Last Blog From This Trip


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Mazunte
January 14th 2013
Published: January 14th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The glazed bananas that the senoritas and senoras sell at the beach are a real treat. Grilled until the sweet banana pulp starts to swell and ooze. Think of a glazed doughnut, but bananas instead, quite a treat, and filling! Soooo good.



What would a trip be without a Lessons Learned section?

1. Taxis. A twenty-five peso ($2.00) taxi ride is inexpensive in itself, but when you look at them over a three or four week span, you cn see how they can add up to a lot of money. Tip: Share taxi rides if you can. No one says you can’t take a friend or wait on the corner where they take “collectivo” taxis. If you are paying half or less, it could cut your total taxi bill in half.

2. Be prepared for the beach you are going to. If it’s a good snorkel location, take 50 pesos along for snorkeling gear. If the beach has big waves, take along a boogie board, or a surfboard of some kind. Wetsuits are optional whenever you go. I only saw a few in 4 weeks. The water temperature was 83 degrees Farenheight. If the beach is flat and for tourists, bring chairs, towels, umbrellas, cooler and the works. Out past each reataurant’s rows of umbrellas, are areas for your own equipment if you have it. A beach is public unless it’s owned by a hotel, and you can tell the difference.

3. I didn’t really meet any other Americans until the latter part of this trip and I enjoyed their company. I think this trip would have been more interesting if I had met a few more English speaking people earlier on.

4. After I got home from this trip and was looking at one of the local magazines, I realized that there were several things in the general area that I did not see, I was too busy enjoying the crashing of the waves, and life in the water. I did not go to see the botanical gardens or go on a whitewater rafting excursion. Next tine!

5. Forgot to bring my swimming goggles. Got them for general swimming underwater and they would have come in handy every day that I went to the beach, which was twenty-three out of twenty four days.



All in all, a great trip, 88F everyday, and a lot of action, sun and surf, or sun and sitting in a cafe, or sun and shopping. Tip: call your bank that you have debit cards with and let them know that you are going to be in Mexico, so they won't become suspicious and put a lock on your account, Know what your maximum daily debit card cash withdrawal amount is (usually somewhere between $400.00 and $1000.00).

Please stay tuned for the February in Death Valley trip coming up in 2 weeks. It will cover most of march, with side trips to Loreto and La Paz for whale watching.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb