It's those very unexpected "mishaps" that often make the trip worthwhile...


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Nuevo Leon » Monterrey
August 21st 2006
Published: August 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Monterrey to Cuatrocienegas

Green = Monterrey, Nuevo Leon Red = Cuatrocienegas, Coahuila

BambiBambiBambi

We have deer on our campus. This is one of the two.
Hola everyone! I hope all is well in Chicago, Green Bay, De Pere, Virginia, Texas, or from wherever else you might be catching up. I myself have been a busy lass down here in Mexico but you're in luck because I have some time to update!!

Since the last time I've written, I have waited in many, many lines, endured much confusion over seemingly easy processes (for example, who knew I'd have to go to 6 different places on campus to enroll in a salsa dancing class with some friends... or how difficult it would be to get the university to take my tuition money). It seems that some processes are complicated by some very unnecessary bureaucracy, but hey, when in Mexico, I guess.

I started my internship at Museo de Historia Mexicana (Museum of Mexican History). Right now as the guides are just getting hired and we don't have many visitors, life at the Museo is slow, but when our awesome mummies get here from Guanajuato (our temporary exhibit for September and October), apparently the place will be bumpin'. This is what I have been told. Wondering what I'm going to be doing at the museum? I'm going
Cerro de la SillaCerro de la SillaCerro de la Silla

Took these pics from up in the CEDES building where the Int'l Programs Office is located.
to accompany English speaking tours and give them feedback helping to ultimately create a better museum experience for our English-speaking patrons. Plus, I get to meet a ton of Mexicans and speak a lot of Spanish.

Also, rest assured that body wash does exist in Mexico.

The roommates arrived. Apparently what I understood would arrive were two chavas (girls) turns out to be a chavo and a chava. Rodrigo, 21, civil engineering major, is from Zacatecas, Mexico and Alejandra, 22, a master's student, is from Colombia. Rodrigo cooks more than Alejandra and I combined, muy muy raro... we all have very different schedules, but this past Friday night we managed to gather round our huge table with some friends, some tunes (80s rock, techno, and Natalie Imbruglia compliments of Rodrigo), and a little bit of cerveza...

This past weekend, I went on a trip offered by the university to a place called Cuatrociénegas. Amazing! Cuatrociénegas is located in the Mexican state of Coahuila, about a 5 hour bus ride west and a little bit north of Monterrey. Cuatrociénegas is located in a desert region of Mexico. Wikipedia says that Cuatrociénegas is Spanish for "four marshes": the name
Cerro de la SillaCerro de la SillaCerro de la Silla

Just can't get enough of these mountains!
was chosen by the first settlers because of the natural springs in the vicinity that create extensive areas of wetland and lakes. We first headed to the city/municipality of Cuatrociénegas to the house (and now museum) of Venustiano Carranza, President of Mexico from 1915 to 1920. There we learned about his family, the Mexican revolution, and local history. The current director of the museum is the great niece of Venustiano Carranza-- she gave us the tour. We had lunch in town, checked into our hotels, and got on the bus to head to the biological reserve in the desert.

Cuatrociénegas is one of the only two biological reserves in Mexico (along with Laguna de Términos, in Campeche). The biological reserves are small ecosystems with unique fauna and flora that are highly protected by local authorities. Recently, NASA stated that the biological reserve of Cuatrociénegas could have strong links to discovering life in Mars, since the adaptability of bioforms in the region was unique in the world.

We spent most of Saturday at the reserve, headed back to town for a barbecue, and then spent Sunday back in the desert region checking out the protected pools, some turtles, the blue pond, white sand dunes, and swimming in another pool (some pools you can swim in and some you can't).

All in all, it was an amazing two days, and it was great to be away from the city and to get to know a different sort of Mexico than the one I've grown accustomed to this past month. The pictures will explain a lot more of what I saw, and I hope you enjoy!


Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Trip out to CuatrocienegasTrip out to Cuatrocienegas
Trip out to Cuatrocienegas

At night when the sun starts to go down, the mountains look so smooth and velvety you just want to touch them!
DesertDesert
Desert

Very different from driving through Monterrey.
ChurchChurch
Church

Church in Cuatrociénegas
ChurchChurch
Church

Inside the church
La Virgen de GuadalupeLa Virgen de Guadalupe
La Virgen de Guadalupe

A few days ago a taxi driver pulled out a Virgen de Guadalupe card and told me all about her. It was really interesting, but it was a 15 minute ride and I think he had a few screws loose.
StreetStreet
Street

Street in Cuatrociénegas. Toward the end of the street are the two hotels our group stayed at.
WineryWinery
Winery

We stopped at a winery to learn how the wine is made from grapes from the region. A bottle of wine cost $40 MX, which is about $3.70 US. The wines are very different from anything I've ever tasted. They make some liqueurs as well; they referred to one as the "cousin" of tequila. They also have an apple liqueur.
ShoesShoes
Shoes

They had these on the windowsills at the winery!
SwimmingSwimming
Swimming

Matt getting into the water in one of the (swimmable) pools.
MushyMushy
Mushy

When you first step in, you find the floor of the pool is very muddy and squishy. It takes awhile to get used to. You can use the natural muds for facials!
Christin, James, and OliverChristin, James, and Oliver
Christin, James, and Oliver

The Tennesseean, Australian, and Austrian... you have to be careful when moving around because there are HUGE rocks in the shallower parts of the water.
Some more of the scenerySome more of the scenery
Some more of the scenery

I felt like I wasn't in Mexico. Where on earth can you swim in these pools from natural springs, in the middle of a desert area surrounded by mountains??
HutHut
Hut

There are huts like this scattered everywhere too.
Happy AussieHappy Aussie
Happy Aussie

I don't remember why James was smiling, but he's an Aussie, so I'm pretty sure that explains why he looks so happy.
KayakKayak
Kayak

Yea, we had some kayak races too. That was entertaining.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the bus is stuckAaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the bus is stuck
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the bus is stuck

This is where the "no te preocupes" attitude becomes necessary. Our bus got stuck. In the middle of a desert oasis.


22nd August 2006

Hola!
Hola chica! Me gustan los fotos!! Especialmente, me gusta el foto de los zapatos en la ventana. Eres un gran fotografa! Tambien, me gustaria a conocer el "cool Aussie" ;) Gracias por el post~!!
22nd August 2006

YOU! You with the face. Here's the rule, next time you decide to take a weekend trip, LET ME KNOW! I thought something horrible had happened to you and I had no way to contact you and I couldn't remember if you actually had "repatriation of remains" covered in your policy and ... yeah. So... awsome pictures.

Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 9; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0697s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb