Sayulita


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Nayarit » Sayulita
February 11th 2010
Published: February 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We took another bus trip north to the surfing town of Sayulita. They have bigger waves here than in the protected southern part of the bay, and even host surfing competitions here in December and January.

The town itself looks much like any other small Mexican town. But many of the people we saw looked more like 60's flower children and surfer types, complete with dreadlocks, bare feet and deep tans. The shops sell artsy stuff that is way above my price range, and the clothing stores stock name brand shorts and beach attire, also at a high price. In contrast, Huichol indians weave baskets and sell colorful beadwork in the square.

We spent an enjoyable day there, watching the birds and the people play in the waves. The pelicans wait for each big wave to break, then dive in just after the crest breaks. There must be good fish that are swept along with the waves. The surfers swim out and wait for the ideal wave. Some are very good, and can steer around the beginners who get caught in the waves and tossed off their boards. the undertow from the waves after they break and as they head back to sea is very strong. We saw quite a few would-be swimmers get knocked off their feet by the waves. But for the surfers, surf was up that day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 60; dbt: 0.077s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb