Xochicalco


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Morelos » Cuernavaca
July 7th 2010
Published: July 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Xochicalco is an impressive, ancient site that we visited on Tuesday. It has many pyramids and altars where they sacrificed people at least once a month (That's what happens when you don't have television). Of course, sacrificing live human beings wasn’t all there was to their culture, but that’s the memorable thing for most of us. They also were big into astronomy.
Like the Mayans, they played a ball game where two teams competed to put a 7-pound rubber ball through a small loop that was about 21 feet off the ground without using their hands. We were told by the tour guide that the leader of the winning team was sacrificed to the gods. And to be sacrificed was a great honor and people went willing because they believed they would become a god or something. Yet our director said that that is mostly folklore that they tell to tourists to make the history more exciting. So basically no one knows anything much for sure.

I’ve included a few of my own photos here, but for more information go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xochicalco.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



8th July 2010

what really happened
So you were told a story as well. I was there 8 yrs ago and they told us that the winners were sacrificed as well,but at a local village they told us nobody really knew. I wondered where they got a rubber ball from?? thanks for the pics
8th July 2010

Wow!
Hi, Paul: Wow! You're seeing some amazing sights and sites! Thanks for letting me enjoy summer via you! As for the human sacrifice...age before beauty!!
8th July 2010

Dear Paul, Nice stories/histories, nice pictures. Impressive site, Xochicalco. You must have a very agreable time there in Mexico. With kind regards, Wim

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0558s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb