Zirahuen, The Search for Jim and Rosita


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Michoacán » Pátzcuaro
February 25th 2010
Published: February 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


After leaving Mazatlan on the evening bus, we were head to a little mountain town called Zirahuen. Rosita (from Port Hadlock) had recommended it as a lovely destination, out of the way. She and Jim were to be there, so we figured, "why not meet them?". After an overnight bus and a short taxi ride, we were delivered into this small pueblo, nestled in the mountains, cradling a crystal clear blue lake. After hiking on cobblestones uphill for a couple of miles, we really needed a beer. First stop.

Funny thing is, we were in town five days and made many friends, including other gringos surprised to see us wandering around. Koo and Jeff are New Hampshire folks who bought a house two years ago in town and have been remodeling it. We tramped around their digs, had lunch at their rental house and went to a rodeo with them. Good times. After asking half the town, we finally discovered where Jim and Rosita were staying and went to visit. The caretaker told us they were in Morelia for the next two days...haha!

So, although we never crossed our intended path, we had a great time and ate some damn good vendor food. Had a great hike around the lake, and got to take part in the last night of the carnaval celebration, replete with homemade fireworks on strung-together wooden frames, and many drag queens. The carnaval was on a Sunday night, and we had been in Patzcuaro all day at the market. We had a smoked fish with us, and stopped and got a mega bottle of Corona and headed to the plaza for a nice, quiet dinner on a bench. Town was dead as we walked through. As soon as we approached the church, we heard a mariache band. We round the corner, and the WHOLE VILLAGE is partying! So much for the quiet night. After getting into a bi-lingual pissing contest with the bar owner who wanted to over-charge us for our beers, we found a corner store with the cheapest beers to date. We bought three mega bottles and wandered around. Apparently, the women in this town don't drink much, because I was leaning by a tree waiting for Stefan to get his food. I was swigging out of the Corona Mega bottle. Three guys walked by, smiling. So, I said "Buenos noches." One of the men's grins got wider and he laughed, saying, "Siiii, BUENOS noches". And they all sniggered and walked on.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0596s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb