Week 2 of teaching, week 3 in MX


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Michoacán » Morelia
August 16th 2010
Published: August 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Finally got some pics up, but messed up a little. The first 20 pics attached to the 3rd entry should go with the second, sorry. and one day i'll finally catch up to present day action (currently feeling sick with what feels like one of my regular sinus infections here in Chiapas, not fun)

With the new weekend came new adventures in Morelia. Friday was a relatively quiet night, as I was a little from not only teaching, but from Spanish classes also. Started taking classes for 3 hrs a week at a local school, which included one hour of language exchange with locals learning english. it was a great way to meet some of the local folk, but I often found myself not getting back to Uruetaro 'til after midnight (now i'm back to my regular schedule). After roaming around downtown Morelia for a while, I went back to the hostel to a 10 bed dorm all to myself, so I thought. About midnight, two girls from California came through and became my new roomies for the weekend (and roaming buddies). One of them, Cady, was a 3rd grade teacher, who became a personal savior of mine because she provided me with some great ideas to get me through the next week of class with the kids. So she helped with some planning that weekend.

One of the workers from the hostel had a reggae band that was playing saturday night, which became as awesome time at a place called Limbo. The band was great (as were the drinks). The next day was the opening day for the local professional football team, the Monarcas. Cady and Claire were excited about going to the game, so off we went to Estadio Morelos. It was a good game and Morelia pulled it out towards the end of the game, 1-0. We left a few minutes early due to the crowd being 90% male, didn't want to risk the harrassment from the crowd as it was just me with two American girls (all of which seem to attract a lot of attention around here). The weekend was a success overall, good times and made two new friends from San Francisco.

Now it was back to teaching on Monday. There was a little more pressure this week, as we had to prepare for a ceremony that Friday. Each group was to
activity timeactivity timeactivity time

playing some air-rock band with the kids, whatever it takes to keep their interest
perform a little song or presentation, so my group had to start learning one of the songs i brought to along with me. So Weezer it would be, along with Happy birthday. it was one of the kids' birthday that week, so this was a nice chance to thoroughly embarrass him.

The first ceremony went well, i believe, for only having two weeks to prepare (how would the next camp go with only 1 week of preparation?). The parents made us a feast at the school, complete with enchiladas, pozole, corundas and flan. Needless to say, I ate until i was miserable. First camp was a success. It would be hard for the next group of kids to top these, they were great. Would have to see next week...




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Cady and ClaireCady and Claire
Cady and Claire

enjoying some garbanzos and chile
Adrianna, Azucena and JoannaAdrianna, Azucena and Joanna
Adrianna, Azucena and Joanna

enjoying recess time
winding down on the last daywinding down on the last day
winding down on the last day

taught them some duck, duck, goose to pass the time on the final day


16th August 2010

Awesome!
Gabriel, I am so proud of you! Please don't corrupt the children of Mexico as you have a lot of power in your position. :) This is great and I am glad you are enjoying it!
16th August 2010

great pictures, Gabe how long are you going to be teaching?
16th August 2010

Miss you
What's bro? Good to see everything is going good. Be careful And be safe. Love Mike and Leslie
16th August 2010

The teaching finished about a week and a half ago, now I'm just trying to play catch on the happenings down here.

Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.072s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb