Saint Patricks Day


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Jalisco » Melaque
March 17th 2012
Published: March 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: St Patricks Day Dancers 20 secs
The parade makes it way around the corner. Four women are carrying a statue of Saint Patrick, the patron saint of the communities of Melaque, San Patricio and Cuidad Obregon. We could hear the familair Mexican Ranchero music before we even saw them. The excitement builds.... There are several marching groups with dancers performing variations of the Irish jig. Floats deicated to Saints and the faith that they promote and even plenty of music.

The parade is short, but it is followed by the parishers who join the parade to the church. The entire procession moves into the church for a long service, complete with band and dancers. Many people, including us, hang around the cnetral plaza and enjoy the festive mood. We enoyed some wonderful tacos, a new dish called gringas, pork, grilled pineapple and cheese and a couple of beers, and relaxed. With a few hours to kill, we just did some people watching, had a couple of cheladas, and Ed even pitched some pesos at a carnival booth.

The fireworks did not start until 11pm, by then quite a large crowd had gathered. The air was electric with anticipation. We snuggled up about 75 feet away from the tower. Now, for the tower...It is a tower , about 120+ feet tall built out of steel and bamboo, there are giant pinwheels made out of fireworks attached to it and fuses all over it. Everyone gathers and they light the thing up. Sparks fly everywhere! Pieces fly off and into the crowd! People are running and trying to stomp out the embers. Then another part lights up. When everything on the tower has burnt, the top lights up, starts spinning wildly and rockets into the air! Now mind you, this cross is about 5 foot tall and burning, then it falls out of the sky and into the crowd! Then these "bulls" with rockets shooting out of thier heads go running through the crowd. Thier idea of the running of the Bulls! Pure Pandemonium!

Happy Saint Patricks Day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

DancersDancers
Dancers

With Us and Canadian flags
DancersDancers
Dancers

Look at the Cape
TowerTower
Tower

Before being lit


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0673s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb