Still not dead after a whole week in Mexico


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Guanajuato » San Miguel de Allende
September 5th 2009
Published: September 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Copper CanyonCopper CanyonCopper Canyon

That's the donkey track winding its way towards the river, 6,000 feet down.
Contrary to the assurances given to us by most people we met north of the border in the USA, we have survived a week in Mexico, and have neither:

a) Been struck down by a vicious mutant form of the swine flu virus.

Nor:

b) Been riddled with machine gun crossfire after being caught up in a savage battle between the military and the narco-terrorists.

Furthermore, I have been trying out my Spanish on the locals, and have thus far managed to avoid (as far as I'm aware) asking "would you mind if I fondled your wife's breasts?" whilst seeking directions.

Highlights so far:

The DESCENT OF DEATH! into Copper Canyon



A bit over-dramatic, granted, but this section was long and scary, although ultimately exhilarating. Copper Canyon is 6,000 feet deep, and has the old silver mining town of Batopilas at its bottom, where we stayed for a couple of nights. The 40 mile passage in and out is basically a glorified donkey track, being about as wide as a car and muddy, rocky, and gravelly in turn. The hairpins wind up the side of the canyon in a way that leaves little margin
40 miles of dirt track...40 miles of dirt track...40 miles of dirt track...

...through scenery like this. Fantastic.
for error. Loads of the group fell off (not us, hooray!), but fortunately no-one ended up over the edge.

Delightful San Miguel de Allende



From where I am writing this. This is an old Spanish mining town, with some fantastic architecture and colourful markets. At least when the Spanish raped and pillaged the place, they had the decency to leave behind some quality features for the locals to utilise later as tourist attractions.

Off for some more cheap drinks now, so Adios Amigos!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Meet PaulMeet Paul
Meet Paul

He's just ridden into a deep, rock filled ditch. Still, it's better than going off the 1,000 foot drop on the other side of the track.
San Miguel de AllendeSan Miguel de Allende
San Miguel de Allende

There are worse places to be drinking a Saturday lunchtime Margarita.


6th September 2009

Chrant
Hail mighty conquerors. We had a great bank holiday weekend with Chris/Ant/Ant/Chris oh let's call the whole thing off, as well as Helen and Jamie, the highlight being the Havenstreet Steam show which was a classic this year - we stayed the whole day. It probably seems crazily parochial from where you're standing. The upshot is that Chrant would like to be added to the list of recipients of your blog if poss - Chrisnel@mac.com. Oh, and we can't make the fricking dongle work. You'll have to come back. JGBB.
7th September 2009

Muy Bueno
Olla Olla Me alegro de que ambos están teniendo un gran momento! tequila tequila! mucho mucho grande roca con las nubes. Tenga cuidado todo lo mejor
7th September 2009

Fame! Your gonna live forever, you're gonna learn how to fly...(high!) etc.
Your intrepid deeds have made it into the Coldharbour Parish News. Max Clifford has been sighted wandering the village trying to get a mobile number for you, but the loyal residents are staying silent. I quote..."The prize for the craziest, most exciting trip goes to Max Bower and Christine Davidson who decided to really get away from it all. They are travelling the length of the American continent by motor bike from Anchorage in the North to Ushaia at the very tip of the South." No doubt the History Society will be in touch to line you up for a talk!

Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 20; qc: 79; dbt: 0.0815s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb