Semana Santa Begins - Palm Sunday


Advertisement
Published: April 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post


On Sunday morning we overslept. The time jumped an hour ahead in the middle of the night and I had misread an article about what time processions start for Palm Sunday. We rushed to get ready and head out the door. We jumped in the first taxi we saw and were let out a couple blocks away from San Francisco church, but we noticed the streets were almost completely empty. We were really confused because we thought we were running late.

“Everyone over sleeps on the first day of the new time,” said the taxi driver.

So we went to a popular coffee shop right off the jardin and that was also empty. Ronnie ordered molletes (cheese, beans and chorizo on top of bread) while I ordered a bagel and cream cheese to go. We headed to the church to save a spot, but found that it was just as empty there as it was in the jardin. We picked a bench and opened our breakfast. For some reason I ended up with a cream cheese, ham, tomato, pickle and Dijon mustard sandwich…not on a bagel. Ronnie just laughed at my crazy sandwich while he sipped his steaming coffee.

I took a walk around the front of the church to look at the hand sewn designs of Jesus made out of palm leaves while Ronnie sketched. After a bit, we saw Jesus and his apostles run by to go to the start of the procession on top of the hill. It was now 10:00am when the paper said the procession started at 9:00am. We waited and waited until in the distance, I could see incense burning and Jesus riding a burro, re-enacting his journey into Jerusalem.

I walked a half block ahead to take pictures with my new camera (thanks to everyone for the birthday money!!) but the procession walked faster than I expected. I stood to the side of a parked car when Jesus’ burro walked right up to me. I smiled shyly, but the burro would not budge. The handler had to come and pull him along to get back on the road.

Behind the re-enactment, many people carried palms and sang songs as they walked into church for mass. Afterwards, we walked to watch another procession. This one went from Parque Juarez, through Sollano to the jardin. Many more people were involved in this procession and instead of an actor playing Jesus, a huge statue that dates back to the 18th Century was carried along the road. The smell of chamomile, rosemary and incense continued to waft through the air.

On the way back home, we bought some palm weaving to put in our apartment for our next set of visitors.

I am so happy to be here for Semana Santa as the first time I came to San Miguel about 11 years ago was for Semana Santa. And so, having it be one of our last weeks here, really feels like I have come full circle. What a gift to have to experience it again.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Our PalmOur Palm
Our Palm

that we bought


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0694s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb