Bike Riding in Mexico City


Advertisement
Published: March 2nd 2023
Edit Blog Post

When we travel we like to ride bikes. Mexico City is a great bike riding city with lots of bike lanes and a large park to ride in. Chapultepec Park was walking distance from our Airbnb in Condesa. We went looking for bike rentals. We found a bike rental in the park that rented bikes by the day or half day. They do not rent helmets and the bikes were old. Many locals rented here. We also found ecobici in the park and near our Airbnb. We registered with ecobici and downloaded the app. We kept getting an error and could not rent a bike. These bikes look in pretty good shape. They are used by locals to commute because you can pick them up at one locked bike stand and return them to another bike stand.

Near the Archeological Museum we found a bike booth named bicigratis. They rent bikes for free, you need to fill out a form and leave your identification. They do not have helmets but the park is flat with wide streets that have no traffic and bike lanes. You have to return the bike to the booth you rented it from so these bikes are not used to commute but are used for recreation. Off we go on our bike ride in Chapultepec park. It is a beautiful day, every day is warm and clear with no rain. We make a stop at the Merry go round where I take a spin. We also had lunch in the park. There is a section with a long row of outdoor restaurants with tables, chairs and umbrellas. The food is good and cheap.

We were having brunch with Gary and Jennie in Condesa on the Sunday they were going to fly home. We saw the street blocked off with cyclists, skaters and joggers. We asked the waitress if the street was closed once a month but she said no, it was closed once a week on Sundays. So the next Sunday we were ready and we picked up bikes from a bicigratis booth in front of Primos Restaurant in Condesa. We joined the hundreds of people out riding. We rode from Condesa to Reforma a large street that passes expensive hotels, office buildings and restaurants. On our ride we saw a large group doing Zumba. There were also booths with free bike repairs (they had plenty of customer). at every intersection there were volunteers making sure everyone stopped for traffic. On our way back to Condesa we stopped for gelato at Armorino. We have eaten this good organic gelato in France and we were surprised to find them in Mexico City. At the end of our ride we returned the bikes and collected our driver’s license. Jump Bikes used to be in Mexico City but they are not there now. I think whenever you visit Mexico City you will find bikes to rent. Join the locals and explore by bike.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb