Lovely Los Cabos


Advertisement
Published: January 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

No ringing in the New Year at midnight when you have to get up at 3 am to catch a flight. Somehow we always end up with these early mornings, I never sleep more than an hour or so the night before we travel. We had to fly backwards to Houston to catch our flight to Los Cabos so ended up spending 5 1/2 hours in the air, a long way. It seems like every flight is completely full these days, but our second flight was only 1/3 full, to our delight, we each ended up with our own row to lay down! Nice! By the sounds of Ian's snoring, he managed to sleep for a while.

We arrived on time in the early afternoon to a beautiful sunny hot day (26 c). We sped through the small airport immigration and security, then picked up our rental car, as usual, we took the cheapest compact. Armed with our tourist map we headed out to find our rental condo. The airport was about 15 minutes from town. Small mountains, clay-like dessert and cactus greeted us along the way. By time we hit the town and saw the Sea of Cortez it was time to turn right, four or five blocks down the road we found our place, La Jolla. The door to the condo was open and Eve, the property manager was waiting for us. The condo is good, nice large deck with a view of the Sea. Clean, full kitchen, nothing fancy but it will be fine for us. Since it is rented by owner it is fully equipped with towels, dishes, bbq, beach chairs, cooler - everything we will need.

We were tired from travelling but headed over to the Super Mega for groceries anyway, it's not as nice as the one in Cozumel but served the purpose in a pinch. We made some bbq steaks and hit the hay about 7 pm - happy new year from the Grahams.

We could see the sun rising from the bedroom in our condo, we were anxious to get out and explore. We drove all around San Jose del Cabo, we found a decadent tourist area near the sea, beautiful area, grounds perfectly manicured, it looked very expensive - this is not for us! We drove further and found old town, shanties, narrow streets, stores for locals - this is more like it! We parked and had a short tour of the Municipal Mercado (market) Ian discovered a tortillaria, a small store where all they make is tortillas, usually corn but this one had corn and flour, I liked flour better, they were hot and delicious. Next we spotted a chicken bbq stand, Ian was all smiles, I knew immediately what we were having for dinner. It came with side dishes in baggies, an onion and pepper, bag of rice and bag of salsa, Mexican take out. We stopped by Walmart, it was huge! It had better groceries and prices than Mega. For 5 pecos, like 45 cents, the locals will wash your car while you shop, we declined since we have a rental we have to return tomorrow. We drove further down the coast towards Cabo San Lucas but turned around to save that adventure for another day.

We lounged around the pool for a while, met a few people in the complex, so far they are all from BC! Our first impressions, it is lovely here, sunny, breezy, clean and the main road Highway 1 is very busy, Ian says Highway 1 goes all the way north to Portland, it is not usual to see licence plates from Canada, something I wasn't expecting.

Advertisement



4th January 2014

Enjoying your blog
Cheryl, speaking of Canadians, our RV neighbours here in Desert Hot Springs are joining up with a caravan of RVs leaving this Wednesday for Cabo San Lucas, so you'll see more Canadians soon. The Canadian travellers are transforming the southern US, every RV park here is mostly Canadians now, and many are very young- like 50's , newly retired and living the good life.
5th January 2014

Thanks for reading
Glad you are enjoying reading our blog, haven't seen the RV parks here, but they must be somewhere! Can't get over how many Canadians are here, can't blame them for wanting to get away from the cold!!

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb