Ambassador, Ambience - Greenland


Advertisement
Greenland's flag
North America » Greenland
September 21st 2023
Published: September 22nd 2023
Edit Blog Post

Greenland

It didn’t happen!! It was stormy before, but I had never experienced anything like this!! First they closed the observatory (later we learnt that part of the ceiling had fallen down and it wasn’t safe!!) then a large cabinet fell over in the dining room delaying our dinner. This was apart from the noisy, creaking ship, enormous bangs in the theatre where the waves were hitting, people falling over like packs of cards - one person we had breakfast with had her arm in a sling!!) rain pouring in underneath all the doors despite towels/blankets etc that had been put there!! (Humidifiers were going for about three days after!!)

There were leaky cabins that we heard rumours that people had to change cabins and one couple on deck 10 had a metal ceiling tile fall down in their cabin!! We had a wave break over our window on deck 6, but someone said that it had also hit deck 10 and water poured in!! They closed the buffet on Deck 12 due to an ‘incident’. I think it was probably lack of crockery, as we heard crockery and glasses smashing numerous times, and people falling off stools or their meal falling in their laps. This meant that everyone had to be fed on Deck 7 which caused chaos (No fault of the staff, who worked, despite the conditions, to feed us all – eventually!!)

The Captain said at first that we would be going through Prins Christian Sund to avoid going around the tip of Greenland and that the sea was only calm now because we were in the centre of the storm!! Unfortunately he had to keep on a southerly course to try and avoid the worst of the storm, and in doing so, we had missed Greenland because we were too far south!! Had a letter from the Captain two days later saying that because of unexpected 65 knot winds and sea swells up to 10 metres, we weren’t going to Greenland!! Mmmm……fairly obvious!!

Chris had predicted we would meet the tail end of Hurricane Lee as it went up the US NE coast, just by watching the BBC and Sky News World weather maps. We also heard that we were the only cruise ship that had sailed through the Hurricane!! (We heard that one cruise ship had turned back!!)

We mostly passed the time in the palladium theatre listening to lectures, watching films, and trying not to walk around too much! It was hard work walking!! I did manage to see a whale – but it was quite far away and Richard the ORCA guy was unable to identify it. Spotted today: Whales, dolphins, porpoises 1, Northern Lights 0, Rainbows - Lots!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



1st October 2023

Weather
Glad you were OK. Sounds very unpleasant xxx

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb