The alternate route to Qaqortoq


Advertisement
Greenland's flag
North America » Greenland » South Greenland » Qaqortoq
August 13th 2019
Published: August 14th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Jan fishing againJan fishing againJan fishing again

No catch this time.
Then wind was still whipping crazy with whitecaps and vapor coming off the bay. Jan had to make alternate plans for us to get to Qaqortoq. The original plan was for a boat to pick us up in Igaliku and transport us to Quqortoq, stopping to see a church ruin. But the wind dictated we weren't going to do that. Plan #2 is to go up & over the ridge by the same route we had walked previously and catch a boat there. The boat ride would take longer, but would be safer. After lots of discussion they decided to give us 6 and a German couple a ride to the other boat dock, and transport our luggage.

We met the boat at about 1:45 p.m., and took a fun, bumpy ride to Qaqortoq, which took a little less than 2 hours. We went by a bunch of icebergs on the way. The conditions were better in that fjord for transport.

After we checked in our hotel we had a walking tour around town. We tried to go to a Thai restaurant for dinner, but they had reservations and no room for us. We ate at the cafe in the hotel. I had lasagna which was more like the Shepherd's pie my Mom used to make.

Tomorrow we board a ship for an overnight trip to Nuuk. I don't know what the wifi situation will be on the boat, so may take a few days to post again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Kayak classKayak class
Kayak class

Learning the "roll"
Kayak placeKayak place
Kayak place

Qajaq is the original word for kayak.


14th August 2019

Awesome trip. I particularly j
Great trip. I particularly liked the photo of Qartok
14th August 2019

Awesome trip. I particularly j
Great trip. I particularly liked the photo of Qartok
14th August 2019

Awesome trip. I particularly j
Great trip. I particularly liked the photo of Qartok
14th August 2019

Awesome trip. I particularly j
Great trip. I particularly liked the photo of Qaqortoq
14th August 2019

What an adventure!
You are so adventurous, Sue! I am loving the blog and photos. Greenland wasn't on our to-do list, but it is intriguing. Here, we are hearing a lot about the accelerating loss of ice, and the rising seas and possible destruction. I'll be interested in what you learn while you are there.
14th August 2019

Wonderful photos
I love following your travels. Julie
14th August 2019

Colorful
The building color scheme seems to show Nordic influence. Nice contrast to greys and white. I wonder whose idea it was to use the q in the spelling of the words. Maybe there is a twist to the sound that kept them from just going with k? There is a sound in Farsi that is sometimes written with a q or a g. We don’t have an analogous sound in English so no letter is going to get it across accurately.
17th August 2019

Greenlandic language
See today's entry. This language is pretty strange, it's not totallly Inuit but derived from Inuit. They string words together to make a thought and the resulting word is really long.

Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0719s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb