A waiting game


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec
June 19th 2013
Published: June 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Beauharnois LockBeauharnois LockBeauharnois Lock

North Star with new flags
A beautiful day on the water took us to the Beauharnois Locks where we waited for three and a half hours to lock through. There was an other couple from North Carolina locking through with us on their 36 foot Mariner called Tumbleweed. These two locks require that you moor to the port wall which is not North Star's preferred, she pulls to starboard. Pleasure crafts on the St. Lawrence Seaway are rafted up together to lock through with the bigger boat against the wall. A little difficult but the Captain is a pro and had no trouble.

We expect to wait at these commercial locks so we had saved some odd jobs for this eventuality. The Captain was busy checking the oil, washing windows and buffing them with Rainex to improve visibility when it rains. We replaced our tattered flags and had a nice lunch. I even had time to read and do some research on the web. No schedule means you are not late or in a hurry.

The scenery has changed to flatter land with farms and some industrial installations. Lots of small fishing boats everywhere. We enjoyed a two to three knots current in our
LakersLakersLakers

Sunset parade of lakers
favour all day so we were making good time.

We had a little difficulty finding the right anchorage on Lake St Louis because we wanted to be protected from the North wind but we managed to drop the hook just inside the Lachine Canal(45.24 and 073.42). We enjoyed a quiet evening with a lovely sunset and a parade of Lakers. They were going really slow to enter the canal so their wake was no problem.

We shall see what tomorrow brings.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

SunsetSunset
Sunset

anchorage sunset


20th June 2013

The sunset looks amazing .

Tot: 0.244s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0722s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb