Travelogue #12 from Saguenay, Quebec, Canada


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Saguenay
May 20th 2009
Published: June 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

TRAVELOGUE
Tuesday, May 20, 2009
Saguenay, Quebec

Good morning everyone ~

This morning we glided through the Saguenay Fjord along the Saguenay River for almost two hours viewing the splendid cliffs and scenery along the way. Every once in awhile there would be an opening and a small meadow with about five homes on it surrounded by these incredibly tall granite cliffs. As we approached the end of the fjord through the Bay of Ha! Ha! (literally - that’s what it is called) to La Baie (the bay). Although we were told we were going to the town of Saguenay, it is an amalgamation of three different towns.

La Baie is set at the far end of the fjord and surrounded by beautiful hills and granite cliffs. The people were again very welcoming and happy to see us as we disembarked the ship for our tours.

Our tour on a motor coach took us out of the city of La Baie touring the countryside with views of the spring leaves blooming on the trees here and beautiful fresh colors of green everywhere. There are a lot of maple trees in this part of the area.

Our actual first stop was for lunch at a restaurant high atop a hill overlooking the Saguenay River. Again, we had an excellent meal of lunch, salad, chicken breast and garlic mashed potatoes with banana cake for dessert. The views from the outside deck of the restaurant were stunning and so picturesque. Rolling meadows and farmlands lined with birch, maple and evergreen trees were everyway you looked. Then, the river, though appearing to be calm and clear as glass, was below and we knew the water was moving quickly.

After lunch we boarded our bus for a drive out to Ste-Rose du-Nord, a quaint little area also along the Saguenay River. It appeared to be an area for picnics and those wanting to hike as there were wooden steps leading up into the forest back behind the little shops. It was quite picturesque.

Then we trekked out to a museum that is now converted into a museum. The building itself was all made of granite and had a gushing river across from it. Inside of the museum was some quite unique - an entire house that one man had hand painted every inch inside and out during the course of two years. It was primitive art (like Grandma Moses), but quite beautiful in its own right. Because we were not allowed to take pictures, there were post cards that you could purchase.

Our next stop was to another museum and “aquarium” - which sounded nice - but the aquarium was actually 50 gallon salt water tank and there was at least one fish in it. The museum was actually supposed to be history on the fjord.

The best part of the whole day was across the street from the “aquarium” where we visited a hand made soap factory. We entered and went into a room with benches like a classroom set up. The own of the factory then began to speak and was by far, quite a comedian. He spoke and laughed for about 15 minutes. We wished we could have had more time there because he was really fascinating and learning how he made his special soaps and what each one for particularly for was hilarious. It was quite enjoyable and a wonderful way to end our day.

Our last formal night was last night and it was surf and turf night. We enjoyed a small filet mignon and lobster tail. The specialty dessert was from Chef Rudy who gave us a delectable tiny square of rich chocolate cake topped with a creamy dollop of chocolate mouse and on top of that was a molded white chocolate crest with his name written on it and cherries on the side (almost like a cherries jubilee. There was a small sugar form on top of the cherries in the shape of a swan swimming in a swirl of whipped cream.

We sailed out of Saguenay at 8:00 p.m. last night on our way to Quebec City, Quebec. At 10:30 last night the culinary staff put on a chocolate dessert “extravaganza” complete with ice sculptures turning with colored lights shining on them, platter after platter of chocolate dipped strawberries, martini glasses full of rich chocolate mouse and topped with a fresh strawberry fanned out, cheesecakes and black forest cakes, pies and even some marzipan; and of course, white and dark chocolate fountains for dipping fresh fruit and homemade marshmallows. Everything was on tables surrounding three sides of the large pool on the Lido Deck atop the ship. There were several pieces of “art” made out of bread dough and solid chocolate figures of animals and an Eiffel Tower made out of white chocolate.

Sailing the Saint Lawrence has been smooth and quite pleasant. Tomorrow the temperature in Quebec City is supposed to be warmer - 75 degrees and the forecast is for clear skies. It should be a beautiful day. We will be there overnight tomorrow and will sail for Montreal on Friday where our cruise will finally come to an end.

Till next time…


Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb