Gasp! We're heading to the Gaspesie!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Rivière-du-Loup
September 3rd 2013
Published: September 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Ready to Walk the FortificationsReady to Walk the FortificationsReady to Walk the Fortifications

This was 1/2 block from where we were staying. Steps to the wall were near the arch.
September 3, 2013

Guitta, our hostess at the Maison Historique James Thompson B&B, fixed a wonderful breakfast for the eight of us staying at her beautiful home in Old Quebec City. Omelets, French toast, croissants, bacon, big bowls of seven different fruits, chocolate muffins, juice, and coffee gave us a good start for another busy day. Guitta is a good person, very hard working and kind. We enjoyed talking with a nice family of four (two adult children) from Paris. We thought it was interesting that the Parisians said that they had difficulty understanding the Canadian French, that it is very "Americanized" with a heavy Canadian accent. They said that when films made in Quebec are shown in France, they often include French subtitles. I can relate...I have had trouble understanding the English language in Belize and the Caribbean and some actors in British movies and TV shows.

After our leisurely morning meal and several cups of coffee to go with our conversation, we set out with the goal of walking the fortifications (walls) of Old Quebec City. This is the only walled city in North American north of Mexico. We had walked a good portion of it yesterday and concluded it today. We lingered in the city, not eager to leave its friendly people and interesting culture. There is so much history here, and we learned a lot.

We then put ourselves and the car on the short ferry ride to Levis across the St. Lawrence Seaway and were on our way up the coast of the Gaspesie Peninsula, still in the Quebec province. We intend to drive around the upper part of this, about the size of Belgium. We don't know anyone else that has driven this route and not quite sure why we're doing it, but it's there so we're going for it. There are towns and good roads so we're not heading off into the unknown. We might take a side trip into the Chic-Chocs Mountains because we like the way it sounds. And we wonder why nobody wants to come with us on our multi-week road trips?



Tonight we are in the pretty little city of Riviere-du Loup and ate good ham, cheese, locally smoked salmon, and bread on our patio overlooking the St. Lawrence Seaway. Joe is hoping to take his spotting scope down to the water tomorrow morning
Plains of AbrahamPlains of AbrahamPlains of Abraham

Scene of battle between French and British.
to see what birds might be here. Tonight he saw peregrine falcons scaring up some shore birds. Now that we are finished with cities for awhile, we are hoping to slow down a bit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Dufferin Terrace, Quebec CityDufferin Terrace, Quebec City
Dufferin Terrace, Quebec City

This was the first day of school for a Quebec university and this was part of a freshman initiation for architecture students. They were all dressed as characters from the Mario Bros. video game.
Maison Historique James ThompsonMaison Historique James Thompson
Maison Historique James Thompson

Guitta owned this charming bed and breakfast.
Ferry from Quebec City to LevisFerry from Quebec City to Levis
Ferry from Quebec City to Levis

Ride was about 15 minutes.
Riviere-du LoupRiviere-du Loup
Riviere-du Loup

View from our motel room.
Riviere-du LoupRiviere-du Loup
Riviere-du Loup

View from the Motel du Vieux Fanal.
Ha haHa ha
Ha ha

I am actually lying on the bed in the motel room and my reflection is in the car window. Strange, I couldn't even see the car from where I was. Joe walked outside and thought I was in the car.


4th September 2013

French in Quebec
When we there in 1961, our 1 and only time, French sounded just like what I grew up hearing in Zurich, Palco and Damar. It was still used by the Canadian/French people on our telephone party line and sometimes by the C/F when they talked to one another in town. Maybe that was all gone by the time you were growing up.
4th September 2013

French
Very interesting about the French speakers around Palco, Damar and Zurich. No, I don't think I ever heard anyone speaking French when I lived there. We did call the Damar kids "Frogs", though.
4th September 2013

Keeping up
Enjoying every bit of your trip....that is funny that Joe would think your reflection was you!!! Very unusual circumstances.
4th September 2013

Oops
I must be really tired. There are so many typos in this entry tonight, sorry for that. I've changed them but would have to republish for you to see the changes.

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0225s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb