Québec City


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Québec City
December 31st 2005
Published: January 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

St Lawrence RiverSt Lawrence RiverSt Lawrence River

View from Montmorency Falls.
Started my tour to Quebec City at 7:30 in the morning, with 3 Brazillian friends. Quebec is 3 hours away from Montreal by bus. First stop was at Montmorency Falls, the highest waterfall in North America. Was there for an hour. Really didn't need that much time. It was freezing cold. -20 to -30C. Felipe kept getting "frozen" by the cold weather.

Next, we visited Place Royale. An important historic site in front of the walled fortress.

Had to see Chateau Frontenac and the Old Quebec Ville of course. It was a very pretty little part of town, but I must say that a lot of it is geared toward tourists. Loved the little art shops/galleries along the streets though. Had lunch at La Place du Spaghetti, which was again not very French.

The Chateau Frontenac which always appears on lists of top hotels in the world was a disappointment. It looks very grand from the outside, but the ground floor inside was just a dimly lit tourist shopping district of things that I certainly would not want to buy at such a place. Amanda and I decided to take a look at the halls of the hotel
Montmorency FallsMontmorency FallsMontmorency Falls

Highest waterfall in North America.
rooms at the top floor - where the presidential suite is. Excepted a lot more. Was just an average-looking corridor. I've been to a lot more attractive hotels with a more impressive reception hall.

There was a wedding at the little chapel there that day.

Felipe, Amanda, Patricia and I found a place where they gave out free hot chocolate and maple candy. Good stuff. There was a man performing songs for the room of people. He was speaking in Quebecois French so I couldn't understand what he was really doing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Vieux QuebecVieux Quebec
Vieux Quebec

Amanda and I.
Vieux QuebecVieux Quebec
Vieux Quebec

Iceman getting ready.
Vieux QuebecVieux Quebec
Vieux Quebec

Iceman in action.


26th January 2006

Images
26th January 2006

Images
Nice pictures of Quebec City, but you got some of your locations confused. Your pictures labelled Place Royale are in fact images of the National Assembly building and environs, which are in Haute-Ville ( Upper Town ). Place Royale is located below the Chateau Frontenac in Bas-Ville ( Lower Town ). Don't bother to argue, I grew up in QC.

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb