New Year's Eve - Part II


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Montréal
December 31st 2015
Published: January 1st 2016
Edit Blog Post

After wine-thirty in the room, we got ready for New Year’s Eve Dinner and toasting in the New Year. We have never been out of the country, or the city we live for that matter, on New Year’s so it would be a new experience. For the last two New Year’s Eve we have avoided Time Square like the plaque. We just have no desire to deal with the drunken crowds and cold weather, all to see the ball drop, then fight the crowds to go home. Sure when I was in my 20’s I wanted to do that, but once I grew up, I realized that there wasn’t any real fun in just standing around watching a ball drop, I can do that from the warms of my living room and watching Dick Clark’s Rocking New Year Eve Show.

Anyway we were headed to dinner at Bistro Le Modavie and Jazz and wine bar. They were having a special 5 course dinner for New Year’s Eve, it would also be the last entry in the unofficial lobster bisque competition here in Quebec. The restaurant was about half a mile from the hotel in the heart of Old Montreal. The snow had longed stopped and the sidewalks were easy to navigate for the most part. As we made our way past Notre-Dame and to Modavie, the herds of people were building and all headed in the same direction. The other night we were told that there was a big party somewhere in the area, but we didn’t know where.

Even though restaurant was not “fancy” and very casual, we dressed up anyway because it was New Year’s Eve, and I think you should dress up and put on a tie. This actually helped us get a better table, as it often has in the past. If you dress well, certain restaurant’s treat you much better than the hipster in their ripped jeans. I made the reservation long before we left New York, via Open Table, I had to change it because the first time I forgot to request a table near the music, what is the point of going to a Jazz Club if you’re not able to hear the music.? When we arrived they were going to seat at us at a nice table near the window, but nowhere near the music, Jerry politely explained to them that we had specifically requested a table near the music. The maître d’ said the only table was right next to the musicians, which of course we didn’t want, but as soon as we took off our coats and the saw how we were dressed, we were escorted to a great table close to the music and with a window seat. Our table looked out on to Rue St. Paul.

We started with a glass of champagne, Jerry also let our server know we were in no hurry and that we planned to toast in the New Year at Modavie as we had no desire to go to the party down the street. She did a great job of timing our entire meal, dessert came about 20 minutes before midnight and we ordered a bottle of prosecco to drink and toast to the New Year.

Our table, as I said, looked directly out on to Rue St. Paul, which just happened to be the main street leading to the Montreal New Year’s Eve festivities. We had a great view to watch the masses walk by on their way to a very cold celebration and fireworks. The restaurant was packed when we got there, but about 20 to 30 minutes before midnight there was a mass exodus as everyone wanted to see the 5-minute firework display. We just relaxed enjoyed our wine and prosecco and warmth. As we ate dinner people from all walks of life passed by, hipsters, young families, women in furs, elderly couples, tourists, some festively dressed and others not dressed for the weather at all.

The musicians consisted of a Jazz combo, guitar and bass. They were a nice addition to the evening, very much just back ground music and did not need to be the center of attention. Over all, it was a very nice New Year’s Eve and totally stress free.

Now to the food. It was five course three of which were the same for everyone. We had our choice between two salads’ and three different mains. So here it is in both French and English.

Entrée:

Jerry: Roquette Sauvage, Poire Pochée, Fromage bleu, Vinaigrette pamplemousse (Wild Arugula, poached pear, blue cheese with a grapefruit dressing)

Chris: Morceau de Chair de Crab, Medley de Poivrons Rouge Sure une Laitue Boston (Jumbo lump crab with red pepper medley on a bed of Boston Lettuce)

Soupe: Bisque de Homard, Croutons de Truffe (Lobster Bisque with Truffle Croutons)

Intermezzo: Sorbet aux Fruits de la Passion (Passion fruit Sorbet)

Plats:

Jerry: Filet Mignon Rôti, Sauce Rossini, Purée de Terre aux Truffes, Champignons Sauvages et Brocolinis. (Roasted Filet Mignon, Rossini Sauce, Black Truffle mashed potatoes, brocolini with wild mushrooms)

Chris: Morue Noir, Purée de Pommes de terre, Panet et Ali, Betlraves Jaunes et Endives braises salsa de tomate. (Black Cod; potato, parsnip & roasted garlic purée, yellow beets, Braised endive topped with a heirloom tomato sauce.) No I did not eat the beets.

Dessert: Dôme au Chocolate, Farcis dune mousse au chocolat. (Chocolate dome filled with chocolate mousse.)

We had a bottle of Chateauneuf da Pape, with dinner. The bottle had been in the cellar for so long it was filthy, but the wine was good. (Connie anything from this region of France is among my favorite wines)

Now to the review. My salad actually had a good flavor, we have not been a fan of lump crab as it basically has no flavor and we are very use to Dungeness crab, the best crab in the world. Jerry’s salad was also good but could have been dressed a bit more. OK, I know your all waiting, this was the third lobster bisque of the trip, will it be better than Café Delmo, close to mine, or a monumental flop? The answer none of the above. It wasn’t even close to Café Delmo, so it couldn’t possibly be better than mine. They were the first to actually get the rice in the bisque, that is what makes it bisque after all. However, it lacked depth of flavor and richness. It was not the worst bisque I have ever had, but it was a clear loser among the three of this trip. I give them a B for effort.

The sorbet, well it was sorbet, very tart and the passion fruit was a nice change of pace from the traditional lemon or orange. The plats (main course) Jerry’s steak was cooked perfectly, nice sear and beautiful medium rare inside. You may be asking what a Rossini sauce is? We certainly did. It is a red wine reduction sauce with foie gras, what could possibly be better than that? There just needed to be more of it on Jerry’s plate. I have said it before and I will say it again, French food is all about the sauce. My cod was very well cooked and melted in my mouth. It had a great flavor, but they really could have just left the beets in the ground, total waste of a vegetable (in my very humble opinion). The sides that came with both were good, but just lacked execution. The potatoes needed more seasoning, mine needed more garlic. The entire main could also have been warmer, but it is a major holiday and the restaurant was packed so I am not taking off for that. Final analysis, it was a good meal, not great, but it was good for the price and considering it was New Year’s Eve.

We toasted the New Year in with our prosecco, paid our bill and walked back to the hotel. The wedding was still going strong when we got back. I fell asleep in the chair looking out the window.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



2nd January 2016

Beets?
I had no clue there were yellow beets. I like the traditional red kind so I'd be willing to try the yellows. Do you know how they compare in flavor or texture? And yes, I would never choose to eat beets day after day, but they can be good sautéed with garlic and liberally sprinkled with fresh ground pepper.

Tot: 0.519s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.2342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb