Woken by a Wrecking Ball?


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Montréal
July 3rd 2023
Published: July 4th 2023
Edit Blog Post

It’s an early start as Issy, Scott and I make our way up the flat, straight and not particularly exciting highway back to Calgary. The lack of excitement is perhaps made even more so by the fact that this is the third time we’ve driven the route in the last forty eight hours. Thanks Troy (refer previous post) …. I did warn you we’d never let you live this down …..

We bid our farewells to Scott, who’s on his way back to Oz via Los Angeles.

Issy and I are on our way to Montreal where we’ll be spending a couple of days to break up our trip across to Europe. It’s warm, humid and stormy looking when we arrive, in stark contrast to the dry heat of Alberta. We visited Quebec City last year, and whilst it seems a bit more bilingual here, most people are of course still speaking French. I’m not sure quite what we were expecting, but on first impressions the city centre looks a lot bigger, more “modern city like” and a bit less “historic” than we remember of Quebec City.

It seems that our Airbnb apartment is right above the local Pizza Hut. I hope the smell doesn’t waft up through the window, but I guess at least we won’t have too far to go for a midnight snack if we get desperate. Our digs are on the fourth floor, which also happens to be the top floor. This is good, I like high floors. … well I did until we realise that there’s no lift. I’m sure we’ll eventually be able to breathe again … more concerning is whether or not our shoulders will ever reinsert themselves back into their sockets … We’ve got a large balcony overlooking what looks to be a very trendy street lined wall to wall with cute looking outdoor restaurants. The only slightly concerning aspect of the immediate neighbourhood is the number of buildings that are currently mid-way through demolition - they seem to be about three quarters of the way into the job on the one right next door. Our digs were quite unexpectedly cheap, so hopefully we’re not awoken in the morning by a wrecking ball making its way through the wall next to our bed.

We enjoy a very pleasant meal in ideal temperatures in a steet-side establishment only a few metres from our front door.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb