Transatlanticism


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Montréal » Old Montréal
September 25th 2006
Published: September 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

hi everyone,

so since last i wrote alot of miles have been clocked up
The first of innumerable unforgettable and special moments of the following three weeks happened as Aiden emerged from the gates of Auckland International Airport. It was sooooooooooo AMAZING to see him again and under such circumstances, thanks babe!

Auckland holds many surprises: Rangitoto Island just off the coast and our Thomas the tractor engine journey to the summit for some really cool views of the city skyline; A rendezvous at the theatre to see the Kiwi performance of Take Me Out; a comedic tradegy about the effects the coming out of a gay baseball superstar has on him, the team, etc (warning - this performance contains nudity...... bring it on!)
I'm writing this as the hostel is pumping out The Blue Album - how cool is this album!!!!!!! "If you want to destroy my sweater/ Hold this thread as I walk away"
Anyho, I digress, yes Auckland has many sights though we didn't harbour too much about exploring the city, preferring the luxury of our five star hotel!
I got so used to living in such luxury it was very hard to go back to smelly dorms in san fran - seriously whats with guys and their sneakers just pongin up everywhere. One fortunate thing of my flu at the mo is im blocked, nasally that is, so i dont have to endure such... je suis desole, i digress, desole encore un fois en montreal...

Next up was Rotorua. Aswell as exploring Maori customs & traditional performances, the beauty of the exploding geysers, dont stand too close - watch those eyes!! we journeyed out to Hells Gate, another geothermal area and pampered ourselves to a mud bath - quite amusing, as the war poses-photos attest !!!
Word of warning burn your clothes after! Foolishly I washed mine with the rest of my laundry. Sulphur is still perfuming all my garments. When Chavez mentioned the sulphurious devil in NYC last week, i was gonna tele-evangelise on Oprah but then of course i realised it was Dubya who was causing all the gridlock...

All going according to plan as was the flight outta Rotorua - the plan was to fly to Westport though we had to fly via Wellington. The flight nearing landing got particularly turbulent. Not helped by the fact that the half empty 30 seater was flying through a particularily torrential day in the notoriously torrential & windy Wellington. The turbluence was really freaking me out but when the pilot executed an emergency LIFT OFF inches from landing i was totally f**ked over.... "Mea Cupla..."
I decided that if we made it safe aground I wasn't gonna take the onward flight. Which we didn't & naturally it landed safely though it was the most frightening thing ever. Not for the faint of heart!

So plan B, get the ferry from Wellington to Picton, hire a car and traverse the south island. The ferry journey was rather uneventful thankfully! though the vistas as it bowed into bay were spectular. NZ countryside is quite spectular! photo ops at every turn; with virtually no traffic. Thankfully we got really good weather all over which was great as they were coming out of one of their worst winters on record!
On the west coast we stopped off in Hokitika and checked into our very own beach house hideaway; and enjoyed the sunset on a solitary beach - bounded bliss! The following day we journeyed to Glacier country - Franz Josef, where we checked into our very own rainforest cabin lodge hideaway! Deciding against the craziness of hiking up the glacier we settled on the rather sediatary option of getting a helicopter tour around both FJ & Fox glaciers & the surrounding mountains - which was absolutely amazing! such scenery! the pilot was swooping around trying to impress us - so with my boombox on my shoulders I turned some flips and flopped the wigga's heat!!!

From here we drove to Christchurch via Arthurs Pass. The scenery in NZ is spectacular & unrelenting, so many awesome sights, as this drive again proved.
Before flying onward to Sydney I had bought so many CDs in NZ (approx 100) i had to get a box (15.9 kg) and post them home!!! Sydney was great, showing Aiden all the sights & the city I called home one time; dining al fresco at the harbours edge at the Opera House, all truly amazing!
Then we flew to Hawaii & crossed the international date line. From Bondi Beach to Waikiki Beach in one groundhog day! Honolulu was lovely and chilled and relaxed and breezy and all that you would expect! Beautiful sands and beaches and views and cocktails!

From there, onward to LA. We stayed in West Hollywood: All I wanna do is have some fun/ Until the sun comes up over Santa Monica Boulevard - which seemed the most convienent base from where to explore the citys sprawl! & sprawl it does!!! Obiligatory stops to the Hall of Fame, Sunset Strip (where Gene Simmons was booksigning as we were CD shopping in Tower), Hollywood sign, Viper Room, Farmers Market etc.
We went down to the OC to Disneyland which was awesome!! I was quite apprehensive about the thought of this though the place was truly enchanting, so much fantasy to embrace & live, a sorta fairytale. The day ended with a parade and a fireworks display - amazing!

We also managed to catch Vashti Bunyan at the Echo which was pretty special aswell. Playing alot from her pastoral pop/folk 1970 debut Just Another Diamond Day & some from last years etheral masterpiece Lookaftering (her 2nd album) the crowd stood enraptured. Wow! what a gig!!

The following day Aiden returned to Dublin, which was very upsetting and I ventured on to San Francisco.

SF is pretty cool, Alcatraz, The Bay Bridge, Golden Gate, The Castro, Cable Cars, So many hills, the crookedest street in the world. I day tripped to Yosemite National Park which is breath taking. I managed to catch some up and coming LA band called Under The Influence Of The Giants. Catchy pop songs, from their demeanour it seems the influence is coke! Caught a musicial Love Janis about Ms. Joplin (thanks for the heads up Lisa!!) Naturally, had to venture out to Haight Ashbury having just seen the play - where I claimed The Prayerboats sole album Polchinelle for $2 - score!!

From SF I flew to Washington DC to explore the countrys capital. It is again quite something to be standing outside the White House & Capitol having seen them on the news every night.
Having taken in all the biggies and the museums, NYC beckoned! I spent days wondering around the city, breathing in strawberry fields, reflecting at the Dakota & Stonewall, gigging in the Lower East Side (Aussie heads: I saw Lior embrace 100 people with the same itensity with which he gave to 4000 at Splendour in July), embracing the rush of Times Square. In Chinatown / hungover; walking through Little Italy / I saw my reflection/ come right off your face... NYSE, Wall St, Empire State Building, Statute of Liberty, Staten Island, Chelsea, Greenwich Village, Fifth Avenue. Gridlock & UN Conference mayhem and a thousand cops aswarming ... All quite something...
Visiting Ground Zero was quite emotional. I was expecting a reaction but no fervency due to its media saturation. Though to stare into the construction pit it now is - it really is very thought provoking. Even walking around the financial district there seemed to be a vacuum unlike the normal hustle & bustle of a CBD - a bubble of quiet eeriness.

The Who were in town during my stay so I checked them out at Madison Square Gardens. The classic duo of Pete Townshend & Roger Daltrey were been backed amongst others by Zak Starky (Ringo's son) & Pete's son! Playing alot of new songs including the "mini opera" Wire & Glass they peppered the set with classics drawing alot from Tommy & Quadrophenia. The encore was a half hour long and they had the audacity to close on a new unheard song
Tea And Theater which they pulled off with style & poignancy. I waited & waited though alas no Substitute. As much a societal reflection as the counter culture anthem My Generation (which Townshend veered into obliqueness)....maybe next time...

Leaving New York it was to Niagara Falls, Ontario - the town itself is falling down, though around the Falls its like Vegas. The Falls are awesome in their force & power & unrelentingness. They are illuminated at night which is cool; and there's not so many trigger happy tourists which is also cool!!
Toronto is pretty cool as well, very multi cultural, bigger than I thought, very al fresco!

Montreal!!! I've reached my last port of call!!! It has been a blast, quite an adventure, with many turns, twists & surprises. I cant wait to get home!!!

I apologize for my lack of direct contact when i've been away.
I hope to see many of you this Friday September 29 at the Forum Bar on Lord Edward St. I suppose "after work" is the appropriate phrase... i'll be out early anyway, philosophising a stool...
If not, I hope to see you soon for a proper drink & chat. I'm as always on the same mobile - Looking forward to seeing YOU real soon

Until next time,

love, juices & creamy stuff - stay loose & groovy kids!





Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0229s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb