Day Ten- June 23, 2010 Tampa to Montreal Tour


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Montréal » Old Montréal
July 3rd 2010
Published: July 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

RI ConventionRI ConventionRI Convention

Dolly Parton sings, among other great acts.
Farewell dinner with Colin Weeks, President of ACHAFR International, wife Judith, Jan den Hartog, President of Netherlands Chapter ACHAFR, Brando and myself.

Dinner was at the Newtown Restaurant, owned by Formula One Race Driver Jacques Villeneuve. We had a fabulous meal- Cold Québec asparagus soup, Beef tartar, Duck foie gras terrine, and many fantastic deserts.

A great trip, we have signed plenty of new members, and have plenty more leads for later. A successful trip, a great time to meet members, and make new friends! It was so nice to put the faces with the names when we met Colin, Judith and Jan! We also got to meet in person some ACHAFR members of the North American Chapter- Vivien Adams, Bob Wolfenden, Brian Monroe, Peter Hughes.

The convention was awesome. Attendees were also dazzled by a variety of entertainment acts, including the Irish singing group Celtic Thunder, known for its combination of soloists and ensembles; the daring acrobatics of the Cirque du Soleil; and the soaring vocals of tenor Russell Watson. Dolly Parton entered the stage singing her hit song "9 to 5," and thanked Rotary for partnering with her foundation's Imagination Library to promote children’s literacy.

More than 18,000 Rotarians from 154 countries and geographical areas left the 2010 RI Convention in Montréal, Québec, Canada, on 23 June after being challenged to finish the job of eradicating polio and reminded that their efforts are making a difference, even when the results aren’t immediately apparent.

Bob Mazzuca, chief scout executive of the Boy Scouts of America, noted the long relationship between the Boy Scouts and Rotary, and stressed the importance of giving children viable and healthy alternatives amid the array of choices -- many unhealthy and downright dangerous -- facing young people and families today. He noted the many similarities between The Four-Way Test and the Scout Law.

Queen Noor of Jordan praised Rotarians for their work in promoting world peace and building global coalitions, and said Rotarians have pioneered the type of collaborations necessary to make a difference in the world. She said that the environment and nuclear weapons pose the biggest threats to world peace, and shared the work of her foundations in promoting international understanding and goodwill.

Incoming RI President, Ray Klinginsmith, asks Rotarians to apply "cowboy logic" and make Rotary clubs "bigger, better, and bolder."

Rotary International is the world's first service club organization, with more than 1.2 million members in 33,000 clubs worldwide. Rotary club members are volunteers who work locally, regionally, and internationally to combat hunger, improve health and sanitation, provide education and job training, promote peace, and eradicate polio under the motto Service Above Self.

President Klinginsmith also gives us a preview of the 2011 RI Convention in New Orleans.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Our last get together in MontrealOur last get together in Montreal
Our last get together in Montreal

Judith and Colin Weeks, Jan den Hartog, Joanne and Brando Pistorius
Jan with 1930 Packard on Crescent StreetJan with 1930 Packard on Crescent Street
Jan with 1930 Packard on Crescent Street

Jan presents us with his club banner from Netherlands


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.077s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb