Toronto


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Toronto
June 17th 2009
Published: June 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

St Michael's ChurchSt Michael's ChurchSt Michael's Church

Bond Place Toronto
A quick entry as I'm packing to get ready to fly home. To be honest it's been a fairly underwhelming three days since the trip across from Seattle last Sunday. I'm staying in the "downtown" quarter or more accurately the University quarter (downtown). But the students are on their 14 week summer vacation (they have it tough....) so there's only the post grads and those with no homes or whose parents have disowned them. That means the tourists stand out more and believe me, there's lots of them!

The district is actually quite grubby (bit like Oxford Street which is always a let down.) There's construction work right next door to the hotel on the way to Dundas Square. In the square there's the usual quota of kids on skateboards (OK) plus a smattering of pan-handlers. The latter are quite sheepish and rarely speak, unlike their aggressive American counterparts. Most of the shops are overpriced and full of crappy souvenirs so not much to see. There's a mall about two blocks away (Eaton Mall) so I'll head that way soon to find Starbucks or the Canadian equivalent which I'm told is Tim Horton's.

I'm staying at Bond Place Hotel which has two and a half stars. I think the last half star was probably self awarded. The rooms are small, aircon is noisy, bathroom fan even noisier but it's all clean and comfy, so for the price can't complain. I almost did complain about the breakfast which took well over an hour yesterday including a wait to be seated, wait for the food, wait for the coffee, wait for the bill......... The boss lady is competent but swamped - she's just got one little helper (Ali, an Arabic equivalent of Manuel who specialises in silly voices and chatting to the prettier girls). Is it possible to water down scrambled eggs? Well, they seem to have found the way! So today I walked round the corner to Senator Restaurant which is the oldest continuous restaurant site in the city. A few dollars more but no wait, friendly staff and fresh hot food. No contest!

I'm flying back (early) Thursday: it's raining here so I don't feel inclined to stick around!

I've included a couple of photos taken close by the hotel: nothing special so yiu'll see St Michael's Church and the old house which was the home of Toronto's first mayor, now a sort of National Trust property.

Next stop home, then off to Bratislava - should be interesting!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0327s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb