Yonge And Bloor


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Toronto
December 13th 2003
Published: December 13th 2003
Edit Blog Post

This is again more north than the other Toronto Entries but is a main intersection on the TTC subway lines. East-West and North-South Lines intersect. I mention it as there was a tragic accident here last week an old cinema, the "Uptown" was being demolished and debris fell on a nearby ESL (English as a Second Language) school injuring many and killing one. The one that died was a man from Costa Rica just finished emailing family back home when it happened. It turned out he was a hero as he sheilded a 10 year old boy and saved him. They had live images running for days after of bulldozers clearing away the rest of the rubble, similar to the images from ground zero. I've been there last februrary when they were still clearing this was much smaller but for us this was a significant event at first people were not sure what happened. The area is normally bustling and trendy but peaceful, a nexus of the city.

Uptown was just on the SW side I remember seeing "Stargate" there which was then turned into a not so exciting TV show but at the time was a great movie.

On the NE side is the Metro Toronto Library the biggest in Toronto sometimes they have free exhibitions at the right side of the entrance. A few months ago was a Science Fiction Exhibit currently there is one about the history of Toronto. An interesting display there is a hanging semi circular panorama from York and King in 1857 amazing someone had the foresight to take that back then, B&W but very clear and there are footnotes every few degrees to say what you are looking at. Many buildings gone replaced by skyscrapers but many still there you can go inside the semi circle.

Most noticable for me was how far away the islands there was a lot of landfilling in the 20s now it is much closer. A key debate these days is a bridge to the island airport which the new wants to stop but was agreed to by the previous administrstion. I think they should not build it the islands are like an oasis to escape the city. It will probably become 2 commercial if a cridge is built. The south east side of the city is like that spits of land connected by bridges but all industrial, only now tring to be revitalized by venues like the Docks and the Distillery but mostly a no-mans land for the public.

NW of Yonge And Bloor are nice retail outlets underground in the PATH system. SE as you go doen Yonge are interesting shops and cafes, many internet cafes as well. The library has many free aesthetic flat screen internet stations on a slope like something from Gattacca but usually very packed I use my wireless.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb