Thanksgiving Weekend!!!!!!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Ottawa
October 11th 2006
Published: October 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Ok, so im back from my thanksgiving weekend. If ur wondering why canada has an earlier thanksgiving than america its because they get their harvests first. Not because the pilgrims came here first and then went to america as i assumed!!!! lol!!!

Well i was kindly invited to go home with my mentor Nancy for thanksgiving and I swiftly took her up on the offer to get an experience of a traditional family thanksgiving, I must say that it was!!! We travelled to her house where her dad, his girlfriend, her daughter and nancy's dog drove 3hours to their cottage. I was very surprised when we arrived at a small harbour and was told that we could only get to the cottage by boat!!!! I know, it's amazing!!!! Their cottage is on an island of its own called Wishbone Island, its about an acre big altogether and aswel as the cottage they also have a cabin on there!!!! The island is in a place called georgian bay, which has 35,000 islands altogether. We also passed a cottage that was owned by the McCain oven chips people!!!! hehe!! and the Schneiders, who are a huge manufacturer of hot dogs!!! so, very interesting boat journey!!! From the cottage, even though we were surrounded by other islands, it was not possible to actually see any mainland, which is kinda cool!!!!

I must say that the cottage was very beautiful and the view from the deck was very picturesque!!! On the saturday we went on a walk around the local bog (also on an island), which is a family tradition where they see how may cranberry's they can collect, which was quite alot!! Now with respect to the bog, its about as big as Deri Lakes, which kind of puts into perspective how tiny our so called "lakes" are!!! For anyone doesnt know Deri Lakes, its basically a big puddle!!! lol!! anyway we walked around it which turned out to be pretty difficult because they has recently had a big wind storm and lots of trees had fallen down. Also there isnt actually a path around the bog, so have to make ur own way round, which involved alot of climbing up rocks and over trees!!! I had lots of fun!!!!

Sunday was when we had the traditional thanksgiving meal. We went to Nancys auntie's house for that. They also had an exchange student staying with them so I felt less out of place. But they made me feel really welcome and everyone was soooo nice. The dinner was differen compared to our traditional sunday roast, but it was yummy. We had turkey, squash, mashed pit's, gravy, stuffing and green beans. No carrots, peas, or yorkshire puddings!!!!!!! which was really strange, so 4 months without without yorkshire puddings, im definitely going to be carving them for xmas dinner!!!! lol!!! They also had pumpkin pie for desert which is a big tradition here for thanksgiving. Which after trying a piece could safely say that if i never ate it again I wouldnt be disappointed!!!! After the whole build up to thanksgiving, was slightly let down!!! althought the weekend was thouroughly enjoyable, the whole thing boiled down to being a sunday dinner, which is a weekly, not yearly tradition for me!!!!!

Monday, which was the official holiday where everybody gets a day off, was spent packing up the cottage, which tooka grand total of 7 hours!!!! and then it was a 6/7 hour journey back to university!!! so, i was extremely happy to get back monday nite and get into bed!!!

Overall impression of thanksgiving: a nice family day, but overrated in my opinion!!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.037s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb