The Annual Mediaeval Festival in Osgoode


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Ottawa
October 12th 2015
Published: October 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Osgoode (est. 1827)is a Village within Canada's National Capital Region about 12 miles south of downtown Ottawa. For the past eight years it has held a Mediaeval Festival every mid-July. I had heard of such events in large cities and had often thought about attending one, but when I first heard the news I frankly wondered how good it could possibly be in such a small village, and with no admission fee. I needn’t have wondered – the whole village had caught the spirit, and it was great! Although the Festival began quite simply and humbly, it has grown each year, and now attracts hordes of visitors.

In addition to the expected static displays of clothing, weapons and armor, dozens of local re-enactors dress up as typical mediaeval English folk – from the King and nobles to jesters and tarts. There are also competitions of mediaeval skills, wagon rides for the kiddies, dancers, good food, craft booths, and musical performances. Some of the ideas have been gleaned from the Society for Creative Anachronism, a California-based society with members throughout North America and elsewhere. It specializes in the clothing, accoutrements, and armor typical of Europe during the period 600-1600 AD, which enable re-enactors to put on these shows. The highlights of the Festival are jousting tournaments in full armor by members of the Knights of Valour, a professional team that performs at major events throughout North America. I know one thing for sure -- I’ve been twice, and will certainly go many more times.

Here are some informative web sites:

http://osgoodemediaevalfestival.com/

www.knightsofvalour.com (professional jousters)

www.sca/org (the Society for Creative Anachronism)

www.medievallifestyle.com/suit-of-armor.html


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



15th October 2015

Fairy Nice
What a cute article Fred. You've written in a nutshell what we experienced attending one of those here two summers ago. It is a great way to keep the past alive. It is hard to imagine the weight of all that metal as you say, and still managing to fight... and I expect the rations weren't all that great either. Love your chain mail helmet. Great photos!!! You caught a lot of action. Thanks.

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb