Winterlude in Ottawa


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Ottawa
January 14th 2015
Published: January 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The 37th edition (2015) of ‘Winterlude’, one of North America’s foremost winter festivals, will take place Jan 30 - Feb 16. It features dozens of athletic (e.g. a Winter triathlon; skating on the world’s largest rink), cultural, indoor and outdoor recreational events and just plain fun for kids and adults alike. It’s best known for its ice sculptures, produced by amateurs and professionals, individuals and teams, and local and international master sculptors from around the world. It regularly attracts some 600,000 visitors. For lots of information about all the activities, go to: http://www.canada.pch.gc.ca/eng/1416244168510.

The ice sculptures are located in the one square block Confederation Park, right across the street from City Hall. On Day One dozens of individual artisans are given 24 hours to prepare their small works of art. At the same time, but with more time allowed, larger team sculptures are being prepared. Judging and the awarding of prizes are at the end of Day Two.

Several days during Week Two are allocated for those who have been invited to take part in the Masters Competition. Starting with piles of ice blocks about nine feet (2.8m) high, eleven feet (3.5m) wide and four feet (1.3m) deep, using ladders, hand tools and special saws, these international artists spend two or three days producing genuine masterpieces. When completed they are lighted at night with ever-changing coloured lights.

Ice isn’t the only medium that can be turned into artistic productions – so can snow. Enormous snow sculptures have been created in neighbouring Gatineau QC by Canada’s provinces and territories ever since 2000. Starting with a 40 tonne cube of snow, about twelve feet (3.8m) along each dimension, each provincial or territorial team of two or three carvers has two days to turn their massive block into a sculpture of their choosing. Prizes are awarded at the end. Most are attractive and interesting, and some are absolutely astounding. They all bear glorious witness to what dedicated snow sculptors with ladders, saws and hand tools can do with Winter’s most universal commodity.

I won’t be in Ottawa for this year’s festival, but I thought you might like to see some of the works that were done in recent years, by individuals, teams, and Master sculptors. Take a good look at the intricate detail: it’s incredible ! The daytime shots were easy to get, but at night the chill factor temperatures went as low as –39(F or C). My camera’s shutter froze more than once, and I nearly did too. I think it was all worth it, though, and I hope you agree!

To enlarge any of the photos, just click on it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb